ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought one of these, good PC alternative?

MK2 P1 1.4S
I just bought this random orbital sander this week, and I thought about the possibilty that I could use it with some suitable pads to polish the car. http://www.metabo.co.uk/metabo/uk/en/produkte/discsanders/400wattelectronicdiscsandersxe450duo_6_00458_39.html
I know the word "sander" will instantly put some people off, but if you look at it carefully, it has variable speed (abeit slightly faster than a PC), takes 150mm pads and has an orbit of 6mm.
The question I have is if anyone knows the orbit of the Porter Cable machine. I have searched on the internet to no avail. If it comes to it, I might just go to the scrapheap and buy a scrap body panel to test it out, but I would rather not have to go to the hassle! :approve:

106 GTi
Like Chris says the PC is derived from a sander.

As long as you can get pads to fit it worth a try on a scrap panel like you say.

MK2 P1 1.4S
It's velcro fitment 6.5'' so most will fit. I'll see if I can cadge a free panel somewhere and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Octavia VRS
Not too hard on the paintwork Ali and in a circular manner. Also make sure the polish pads fit over the PC.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
well yes i rathered that much lol.....So u have to do it in a circular motion aswell as the pads going in a circular motion?!

Octavia VRS
Actually thinking about it you probably just hold the PC steady while the pads go around lol, you confused me beatch!

106 GTi
Ali, normal is left to right up passes and then down, repeat until the polish has broken down. Normaly I divide a clio bonnet into half or quaters and do an area at at time to give you an area of size to do at once.

106 GTi
Put enough pressure on the machine so the motor statrts to bog down, release the pressure so the motor is able to run at the correct speed gives you a good indication of how much pressure is needed when polishing. When waxing or glazing with it, just enough pressure to control the machine works fine. No need to bear dowen on it unless trying to correct paint.

When trying to remove swirls and scratches you need to bear down and give it some welly IMO. I have given mine some serious pressure on poor paint.