ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking points??

Nimbus Clio 197
where are these on the clio? had a quick look underneath the car, but unsure where the strongest place is. any ideas, or diagrams?! :)

Mike

Maz

LY 200
Havn't got a clue but since its you I thought I would give you a free bump ... lol AKA spamming

Maz ;)

on the sill where the little slots are.

about 40 cm back from wheel arch on front and 30 cm forward of rear arch.

/y0z

Nimbus Clio 197
bloody spammers! lol

cheers yozza. i wasnt sure, as i dont wanna end up bending the sideskirts or anything. do u actually jack it ON the sideskirt, or further underneath the car? seems a bit dodgy to me!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
dunno bout the mark 2's but on the mark 1's you have a bit on the jack that slots in the hole in the sideskirt mate..

if not then when i use the trolley jack i put it on the bit behind the slot..

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The jakes that come with the Mk2 clios dont have the slot iirc but you place it under the hole yoz mentioned. and No you don't jack the skirt up.. thats a baadd thing to do!

Maz

LY 200
Give me a bell or a text and let me know when you need it as I don't have a key for the place it is kept ... I am not safe with tools ... lmfao

Maz ;)

Mercedes SLK350
If you jack the car up using the supplied jack, at the recommended points as shown in the owners manual, they crumple and bend, thus failing.

I have experience first hand of this on my old 172.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yep the oe jacks supplied with renaults are officially crap...use the trolley jack in the points just behind the slots mike...

that should be ok

Nimbus Clio 197
roger that guys. Maz, thanks for the jack, im gonna give it a shot now, see if i can do it before 9.30......... hmm!

D

dick

guys u mean, dont use the bits wi the holes, put trolley jack under the sqaure tube thing ??

This picture should give you an idea. Its for a Mk1 but the cars are the same realy uo'll see what i man when you look under there.
Jack on the bit in red if your colour blind I've arrowed it in yellow as well. Don't jack and further forwards (marked in light blue) as this is where the chassic bends back up and the jack could come off.
Have a look under the front of the car by where the hinger are and you'll see where the picture shows. You could use the sill at the front but make sure you have a bar etc so you spread the weight out more else you will find yourself bending the sills.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/edde_uk/Williams/DSCN0459a.jpg

On the back the car wieght very little I jack on the sill with the normal jack then stick some axle stands on the suspension arms.

I've lifted on the sills for ages without any trouble but I go carefully and I try and use two jacks and lift one side of the car at a time evenly. You shouldn't be trying to lift one corner of the car on the sills at one point particully just with a jack as there bound to be under a lot of load. even more so with aftermarket jacks as they put even more load on a tiny sill ares the stock jack is better at distributing the load.

Nimbus Clio 197
lol somertimes guesswork is the best eh! i think i'd better do it when its light tomorrow, make sure i dont damage anything, just to be sensible.... christ, i'm dreading doing this now in case i rip something off or damage the chassis.....erk

The 182 jack is a fuckload better than my 172 one was but i never bent the sills on either car. As long as you are careful and position the jack properly you wont have any problems.

D

dick

well i used the supplied clio jack, bent my jacking points, f*****s

hammerd it straight tho now and put trolley jack under and sorted :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I used Edde's method, seemed the best option to me, however it can result in removing some of the sealant from the chassis of the car.

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Stick a piece of wood between the jack and chassis rail (pic) to cushion and prevent marking. A piece of old floorboard 8" long or so would be ideal. ps NEVER work under a car supported by a jack only please. Thankyou ;)

106 GTi
I stick a bit of thick rag or cloth between the trolly jack and chassis rail when jacking mine so not to harm the underseal.

D

dick

guys, this looks like a real problem with clios, i no it might take a bit of time, but what do you recon, time to get the old pen and papers out and write to renault??

im going to write to them anyway, if i dont hear f**k all, its off to the TV shows to try and drum up support for the cause

why should i pay when its a supplied clio jack on recomended points, f**king stupid!