ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it the camera or the photographer

Oil Burner
Very old topic - but quite a cool video where the Digital Rev youtube channel give portrait photographer Zack Arias a (crappy) compact camera and flash and set him the task of shooting portraits (using the flash).

Skip to 15.10 to see the results. Epic if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Personally, I think having an SLR makes you realise it's more than just the camera that makes the shot. This then pushes you and helps you fully learn about all the different aspects involved in taking a good picture.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Watching that video has made my day.. Cheers for posting Nick!

I totally agree with you Tom, the camera is just part of taking a quality photo. Having the right attitude, confidence and knowledge really does help in getting the perfect shot.

I think it's pretty much a fact that having an epic camera doesn't make you a good photographer, just like having an epic car doesn't make you a good driver.

However (with cameras), life is normally much easier on a high spec camera.

Try giving an F1 photographer a point and shoot and see how he gets on. It all depends what you want from the camera at the end of the day.

its all down to the person i think .... one of my mates saw my 600d and liked it so he bought one as his first camera, most pictures he's taken are crap (blurry,over exposed etc.) cause he doesn't understand the technical side of things on the camera and often puts it in auto :mad: then again ... camera does help a lot if you know how to use it :)

I love Digital Rev reviews - that guy cracks me up sometimes! Especially when you see him falling over, getting run in to and generally walking around taking photos without a care in the world!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I had this argument years ago on a photography course....one of the other attendants said that my pics scored high was because i had better equipment.

So next time I brought a Nikon FM and a 50/1.8

this was ofcourse in the long gone days of film......

Evo 5 RS
I think it's pretty much a fact that having an epic camera doesn't make you a good photographer, just like having an epic car doesn't make you a good driver.

However (with cameras), life is normally much easier on a high spec camera.

Try giving an F1 photographer a point and shoot and see how he gets on. It all depends what you want from the camera at the end of the day.

This exactly, I get access to SLR cameras but I'm no photographer - don't try to be. Even though I can take a 1D Mk3 apart completely and back together in under 15 minutes :eek:
The right lens and camera definitely makes things easier but it takes practice and patience to become any good at it