ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is It Bad To Just Use Lowering Springs?

It's not good for the life of standard dampers, no!

It's a quick fix, but when you then save up for the uprated dampers it's a million times better :cool:

I'd save up and do it in one hit (perhaps with uprated bushes too) as you'll save on the labour costs of doing it twice!

182BG
i would say you can get away with 30mm on original dampers, but anymore and i would advise you too uprate the shocks otherwise they wont last very long

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i would say you can get away with 30mm on original dampers, but anymore and i would advise you too uprate the shocks otherwise they wont last very long
i dissagree ive got -40mm apex springs with standard cup shocks (on a cup) the handling is superb.. been on the car 4 about 4000 miles

DSC01666.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i dissagree ive got -40mm apex springs with standard cup shocks (on a cup) the handling is superb.. been on the car 4 about 4000 miles

DSC01666.jpg

^^ not meaning to pick a argument, but if they're so good, why is your car about 30mm too low at the back??

182BG
all i was saying is 30mm seems to be fine, without putting unesessary(sp) strain on the shocks. But then 40mm is probably fine also, depends on how much weight your car is going to be subject too :)

all i was saying is 30mm seems to be fine, without putting unesessary(sp) strain on the shocks. But then 40mm is probably fine also, depends on how much weight your car is going to be subject too :)

Its not the height which affects the wear its the spring weight.

You should always replace shock and springs never just spring IMO.

Shock life is always reduced with lowering springs b how much is impossible to say to many variables plus depends what you accept as ok as they wear over time.

Megane R26 + 182

So anything over 40 i should get suspention 4!!!

Honda Integra Type R
I had a Shitreon Saxo VTR, before i lowered it the shockers were leaking slightly. After i lowered the front 60mm and the rear around 70-80 MOT 6months later and it passed with no mention of the shocks. I think its more down to the handling issue my 2p's worth

So anything over 40 i should get suspention 4!!!
For anyhting you should spend a fortune or forget it and replace with just new stuff.
If you go anything over 35-40mm its best to uprate your shocks too:)

If you chnage your springs for anyhting should chnage the shocks but there few decient sets out thers so keep to stock unless your've got other good reason not to.

172 A Cupwork Orange™

DSC01666.jpg

^^ not meaning to pick a argument, but if they're so good, why is your car about 30mm too low at the back??

My cup is exactly the same the drop is dif on a cup to a normaly 172 ff for example as its got dif springs,etc etc so i guess when u just change the springs for example this stays the same i have been told of loads of people, the cups are back heavy (meaning the front is always higher)
might be that, well either that or he has got a few bricks in the back :rasp:

172cup
mine is 32mm (i think) down all round..... on std cup springs..

... no problems what so ever! Been like that for almost 12k now

Oh... and mine is almost as low as gazmars at the back

Megane R26 + 182
mine is 32mm (i think) down all round..... on std cup springs..

... no problems what so ever! Been like that for almost 12k now

Oh... and mine is almost as low as gazmars at the back

how much, and where did u get them from :eek:

RB 182 Cup
its perfectly ok to use any lowering springs on standard shocks, handling wont be as good as a full set up obviously and the shocks wont die in like a week.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a set of eibach pros and a new set of standrd shocks to go with them and they've been good, but I accept that the shocks lifespan will be reduced.