ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idleing problem back again!!

172 exclusive no 172

I need to pick your brains again Please.:oops:

I posted about a month ago with referance to My valver cutting out after it gets hot, Wont idle. When i say dosnt idle it holds the revs sometimes but coming down from high revs to idle it cuts out. When the car restarts it is ok for a bit then will start again....

I have checked that the idle valve is working by blocking the inlet to it, at which the car trys to stall.

The thermostat is working correctly and the fan switch comes on at a bout half heat..

The coolant is at the correct level and mixture. Im ripping my hair out now as it was running fine for the last month. and now back to stage 1 :confused:

Oh not sure if this is relevent but there is like a tapping noise coming from around the two injector at the end nearest the airfilter which is strange, but not tappets as were changed when engine rebuilt 12000 ago..?

It sounds like the same kind of problem ive had with mine. Check the idle potentiometer (i think its called that). Its located right in the front of the engine bay and is dead easy to get to. Check the wiring to the connector the top, as mine corroded and two of the wires were occasionaly touching, causing the car to stall when the revs reduced. I insulated all the wires and changed the actual potentiometer itself, and the problem was sorted. The part cost me a fiver from a breakers yard. It says in the haynes manual you have to get the potentiometer set up by renault, but I had no problems after sorting mine.

Failing this you could take is to renault for a diagnostics check. If there is a problem, a fault code should be sent to the ECU. Renault can read this for you, it cost £30 when I had it done. This should tell you what is causing the problem but id check the potentiometer first.

172 exclusive no 172

cheers for that damianshaker

I will have a look after work tomorrow, if it is only going to cost me a fiver i will try anything to get the car running properly again.

lee

clio williams, Ph1 172

Sounds like potentiometer. Mine was ticking over low and trying to cut out. I messed with mine and mines fine now. You wont notice a differnce when you adjust it if the cars running. You have to turn off the engine and restart it. Bet you its that as it sounds exactly like what mine was doing last week.

The potentiometer is the red thing by the way. You just loosen the two screws in it and move it a bit. when its ticking over better tighten up the screws and jobs a guden.

clio williams, Ph1 172

useful or useless? hehe

Im just learning things as things go wrong with my car hehe. Most things have now i think!

I have it on mine sometimes - if I let it nearly stall, it usually realises its being a moron and stops trying to drop its rev to 0.

Is annoying though - you try approaching a roundabout with ya clutch down, braking and trying to keep some gas going on at about 2k rpm..

Daz.

Mr2 Roadster

My RSi is doing the same thing as of the weekend, not that I have been driving it, was hoping a good run would sort it out but looks like another Renault fault... Something else to do when it comes back from the garage!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Paul16V on 22 April 2003

Sounds like potentiometer. Mine was ticking over low and trying to cut out. I messed with mine and mines fine now. You wont notice a differnce when you adjust it if the cars running. You have to turn off the engine and restart it. Bet you its that as it sounds exactly like what mine was doing last week.

The potentiometer is the red thing by the way. You just loosen the two screws in it and move it a bit. when its ticking over better tighten up the screws and jobs a guden.

Is that all there is to it??

Cheers