ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often can the PC be used

Clio 182 cup
Morning all,

Is it safe to use the PC say every 3-6 months with a light cutting pad and polish followed by a finishing pad and polish? I ask this because I'm wondering if gradually the clearcoat will become too thin??

I'm looking to invest in one of these soon (after sorting my 182 insurance out:( ) so I'm also looking for advise on what polishes to use and with what pads. I like using the AG SRP so is this acceptable as a polish for use on a finishing pad? What polish is best for the light cut pad?

Cheers

106 GTi
SRP can be used on a polishing or finishing pad. You could do that every week if you really wanted to.

Cutting pads and medium/strong polishs or compounds once or twice a year.

Always start of with a polishing pad first befoire using a cutting pad unless you have too.

106 GTi
Pad/Polish choices - Products that will work on said pads well depending on defects by PC.

Cutting Pad/Polishes

Menzerna Power Gloss (4 inch spot pads only)
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Poorboys SSR 2.5
Megs 83

Polishing Pad/Polishes

Menzerna Intensive Polish
Poorboys SSR 2.5
Poorboys SSR 2.0
Megs 83
Meg 80
Menzerna Final Finish
Menzerna Final Polish
AG SRP

Fisnishing Pad/Polishes

Poorboys SSR 1
Menzerna Final Finish
Clearkote Vannilla Moose/Red Machine Glaze
AG SRP

Clio 182 cup
Rich thanks very much, a list like that was just what I was looking for.

Looking at the list I'd probably just go with the Polishing pad and polishes and leave out the cutting pad. Would this remove light swirling or do you really need the light cut for this? Cutting pads raise worries for me about the amount of clearcoat being removed. I'd feel more comfortable using polishing then finishing.

Does the SRP have enough in it to remove light swirls on a polishing pad? Or would you go with another polish in the polishing category?

I'm thinking this then finish with Menzerna final finish. What is this stuff like?

106 GTi
SRP wont do much towards swirling unless it is very very mild.

All depends how mild the swirls are. In most cases normally use either Poorboys SSR 2 or Final Finish (PO106FF) and a polishing pad, steping up to Poorboys SSR 2.5, Menzerna Final Polish II (PO85U) or Menzerna Intensive Polish if need be.

Clio 182 cup
Ok well if I was to go with poorboys SSR 2or final finish on the polishing pad, how good would the SRP be on the finishing pad to achieve a maximum gloss appearence? The reason I'm so keen on using the SRP is because AG EGP is great stuff and I believe it bonds very well to SRP. Therefore i'm keen to use the SRP as the last polish to go on before the sealant.

Any suggestions to other polishes I can use on a finishing pad before EGP though are welcome.

Also how long roughly does it take to compete the polishing stage(polishing and finishing coats) before sealant/wax with the PC? I know this varies a lot with the quality of the paintwork beforehand, but as a rough guide?

Is it worth holding out for this new UK version?

Cheers

106 GTi
If your using the EGP, well worth sticking to the SRP before hand. The Menzerna will give a nicer finish than the Poorboys, but is slightly trickier to use.

The polishing stage can take anything from 2-3 hours up to 12 plus.

I would not be spending my own cash on a normal PC well worth holding out for the new machine IMO.

Clio 182 cup
Has there been any dates set yet on this new machine? When you say trickier to use Rich how do you mean? Any product that gives a nicer finish is always the one to go for but if its really awkward to use may be tempted by the poorboys.

I presume your quote of 12 hours there was for paint that required a lot of attention? I have some light swirling at most so I hope I would be no where near 12 hours for polishing.

Will the SRP provide a level of gloss that compares with the other big names, Menzerna, Meguiars etc??

106 GTi
June was being mentioned, Tim at CYC and John at CS have ones they are trying out.

The Poorboys has a quicker work time and less chance of dusting of the Menzerna - It is easier to tell when the Poorboys is worked long enough, the Menzerna takes more passes and a little more getting used to on how long to work it for. But will give a nicer finish and higher gloss.

On normal defects your should be able to wash, polish and seal a car in around 8 hours.

SRP alone wont create the gloss of say a Menzerna polished panel, which is why it should be used after other polishes that have been used for the correction and to create the gloss ready to prep the surface for the EGP.

Clio 182 cup
So maybe using the poorboys SSR 2 / menzerna final polish followed by poorboys SSR 1/menzerna final finish followed by AG SRP simply to get the bond for the EGP??

Will I have gained substantially more depth and gloss using the poorboys SSR 1/menzerna final finish before SRP?

How does the SSR 1 fair in achieving a high level of gloss?

Clio 182 cup
Ok to use the SRP after the poorboys or menzerna combo Rich? I know the gloss will have been achieved before applying SRP but is it required for bonding to the EGP????

106 GTi
Yeah polish using the Poorboys or Menzerna, then use the SRP which will fill any minor defects that may be left behind and leave a perfect surface for the EGP to bond to.