ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do Phone contract upgrades actually work?

As I've never had a contract before now, Im not sure how the upgrade process works!

I've been on a 3 contract for 18 months now (I took out the contract in December 09) and as such according to my3 I'm available for an upgrade. However how do I go about getting one? 3 have made no contact with me asking anything. Obviously it says to call up customer services to upgrade, but what happens then?

Technically my 18 month contract is meant to be up now we're in June. Does it work as in 18 months is the minimum contract time, so even though Im past that it will still automatically carry on, unless I ring them up?

Thanks

Your contract will just continue forever, until you cancel it.

If you want to upgrade, phone them up or go into a shop and tell them, you pick a phone, and sign up to another 18 months on your contract. Done.

ITB'd MK1
18 months is the minimum. Once you're past that, you can cancel at any time. You'll go back to 18 months if you take an upgrade. Sometimes better to buy a phone outright, and not be tied to a time period if you change them regularly

Oh right thanks yea that's what I thought.

But I always thought if you upgraded you can get a better deal or something? Like a better phone for a cheaper monthly premium or whatever.
But from the sounds of it, its basically just taking out another contract?

ITB'd MK1
i've been with orange for a long time, so when it comes to upgrade time, i get a few discounts (they're pretty good with their loyalty scheme) got to negotiate tbh

Yea. Mines only a cheap contract and my first one, so doubt I'll get much. I think I'll just cancel and go back to pay and go. Its just the unlimited web browsing I got my contract for really.

I don't bother with contracts anymore as they're expensive and you're tied in for 18-24 months nowadays. I just buy phones on payg and use a monthly rolling contract sim.