ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Starting Out

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'm looking to start out in this detailing lark and would appreciate some help choosing products. My car is black and has never been cared for before I got it; I'm hoping to do other cars as well though. I'm struggling a bit to get a list together, so far I have:

(Product - Quantity - Per Item Cost - Total cost - Supplier)

Shampoo
Meg's Gold Class 64oz - 1 - 14.95 - £14.95 - CYC

Wash Mitt
I4D Wool Wash Mitt - 2 - £5.80 - £11.60 - I4D

Drying Towel
I4D Uber Premium Drying Towel - 1 - £10.95 - £10.95 - I4D

Clay Kit
Meg's Quik Clay System - 1 - £13.95 - £13.95 - I4D
(Should I buy separately, eg. Sonus green and some other lubricant?)

Masking Tape
3M Masking Tape 3434 Blue - 2 - £2.75 - £5.50 - I4D

Machine Polisher
Kestral DAS-6 Dual Action - 1 - £79.95 - £79.95 - I4D

Spot Pad - Cutting
3M Green 80mm - 1 - £3.95 - £3.95 - I4D

Spot Pad - Polishing
3M Yellow 80mm - 1 - £3.95 - £3.95 - I4D

Large Pad - Cutting
3M Green 150mm - 1 - £9.95 - £9.95 - I4D

Large Pad - Polishing
3M Yellow 150mm - 1 - £9.95 - £9.95 - I4D

Cutting Compound
Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.02) - 1 - £18.95 - £18.95 - CYC

Polishing Compound
Menzerna Final Finish (PO106FF) - 1 - £19.95 - £19.95 - CYC

Then SRP, EGP and Aqua Wax, as I already own them - unless you recommend different?

Need advising on general things like microfibres, brushes, APC, QD and anything else I've missed. Is snow foam essential or would a careful wash with a mitt suffice for now? I.e. what's the best way to get the car ready for claying/polishing?

Thanks,
Ian :)

120d M Sport
A very sound list there, covered all bases, however..

I'd reccomend going for Duragloss 901 shampoo from I4D, better than gold class (from my experience) and also will be more cost effective as you're already ordering a load from I4D.

Might be worth investing in a half decent wax too, decent carnaubas start from around £15. I say that as the Aqua wax you have already is better used for wax 'top-ups' than as a last step product.

However someone may come along and tell you to change most of that! Detailing products are VERY subjective

Ian

Focus TDCi
A very sound list there, covered all bases, however..

I'd reccomend going for Duragloss 901 shampoo from I4D, better than gold class (from my experience) and also will be more cost effective as you're already ordering a load from I4D.

Might be worth investing in a half decent wax too, decent carnaubas start from around £15. I say that as the Aqua wax you have already is better used for wax 'top-ups' than as a last step product.

However someone may come along and tell you to change most of that! Detailing products are VERY subjective

Cheers Alex, had a look at the 901 and it seems ok - hate cherry though so might have to give it a miss lol. In what way is it better than the Meg's stuff?

Get a good sealant and wax, then your sorted (and then some!!)

Is there stuff on the list that isn't really needed then?

What would you both recommend for the wax? I've heard people talk about Onyx and Sapphire etc, are they the products of choice at the moment?

Ian

Focus TDCi
I just use Collinites 476S on soph's, and it shines like a good 'un. I'd use something else if you'll clean and wax often though.

Do you mean it's hard to apply Gaz? Seems quite a difference in price to the Swissvax products, I might get that to begin with, or keep with Aqua Wax, and then get the Onyx next time.

Think I'm going to place a bulk order tomorrow in the hope I'll be ready for FCS.

With regards to sealants and waxes, I have only used AG stuff. So EGP for the sealant, and HD wax. Imho, both are great and do a smashing job, but I couldnt comment on how they compare to other products. But you wont be dissapointed with them though!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Think I'll just stick with the Aqua Wax for now then, can always strip it down and apply something else later I suppose.

Anything that I've missed from the list aside from waxes and sealants - QD etc?

Do you mean it's hard to apply Gaz? Seems quite a difference in price to the Swissvax products, I might get that to begin with, or keep with Aqua Wax, and then get the Onyx next time.

Think I'm going to place a bulk order tomorrow in the hope I'll be ready for FCS.

I don't find it hard to apply, but it's more of a "Winter" wax. I've used aqua wax, a few layers of that and it's pretty good.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Good list!
I went for the Megs Smooth surface clay kit and recommend it. Easy to use.
Sealant wise I went for Carlack LLS, on top of SRP, I found it hard to apply, but the durability is supposed to be very good.
476s is highly recommended on here and on CYC. It doesn't smell as good as the others but does the job very well. I'm still beading like day one over a month later!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Id reccomend getting atleast 2 drying towels.

Duragloss for shampoo imo.

Wax: collinites 476
sealant: jeffs acrylic

Ian

Focus TDCi
I don't find it hard to apply, but it's more of a "Winter" wax. I've used aqua wax, a few layers of that and it's pretty good.

Good stuff, it'll do me for now; not looking to waste money if I don't need to! Cheers Gaz.

Good list!
I went for the Megs Smooth surface clay kit and recommend it. Easy to use.
Sealant wise I went for Carlack LLS, on top of SRP, I found it hard to apply, but the durability is supposed to be very good.
476s is highly recommended on here and on CYC. It doesn't smell as good as the others but does the job very well. I'm still beading like day one over a month later!

Cheers, it's based round what I've seen Jamie and Ali use. :eek: Can't wait to clay the car - reckon I'll probably need 4 bars lol. :)

AlexG said:
Id reccomend getting atleast 2 drying towels.

Duragloss for shampoo imo.

Wax: collinites 476
sealant: jeffs acrylic

Was considering getting a second, so I'll add that to the list. Might change to Duragloss as well if it comes recommended; just hope the cherry aint too strong!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Sealant maybe try CG Blitz rather than EGP
Wax I'd go for a Nice non Specific medium range Wax like R222's

120d M Sport
Don't let the smell put you off! The main difference I noticed with Duragloss was the 'just waxed' finish it gave. Perfect

As for QD's, If you go for the Meg's clay kit you've got a half decent QD there already.

They're essential IMO, if you want to buy one seperately Clearkote Quikshine I've found to be excellent

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sealant maybe try CG Blitz rather than EGP
Wax I'd go for a Nice non Specific medium range Wax like R222's

Do you use R222 with the Carlack 68? It sounds almost perfect, except for the durability issues.

Don't let the smell put you off! The main difference I noticed with Duragloss was the 'just waxed' finish it gave. Perfect

As for QD's, If you go for the Meg's clay kit you've got a half decent QD there already.

They're essential IMO, if you want to buy one seperately Clearkote Quikshine I've found to be excellent

Lol simple things.. I'll consider it, although I notice it's a quarter of the size of the Meg's bottle - could be more expensive in the long run.

Definitely need a QD, just not sure what to go for. Probably see how the Megs does seeing as it's included in the clay kit.