ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT turbo into 1.4 i need help!!!

has anyone on here had this done if so tell me about it. hve u all had it done at torsion or anywhere else, im just tryin to find out all proa and cons so any thing at all is a real help, thanks. tom.:confused:

I asked this a bit ago. People said it would give me more power (odviosly) but couldnt really give me any specifics. Which I was a little disapointed about. But lets hope it gets answered this time around.

Paul

Clio Gtt

do a search this topic has come up more than once before.

pm rob johnson, he will know a bit about this because he is having it done at torsion tuning i think??

I did a search before, but couldnt find anything really apt. Maybe because of what the mesages where called last time.

Paul

Be patient, save up for a 172! Thats what im going to do. Id just do the basics, a nice exhaust and filter etc

Replacing the engine is such an insurance nightmare, and theres so much more than just the engine, then theres the labour costs..ahhh!

Though if you are desperate for an engine swap id keep it in the family and get the williams engine

MarkFisher is the man to ask, hes just had it done to his clio. Hes not on here much, see if you can find a post with him in it and you can PM/E-mail him. Failing that, ill ask him when i go home for christmas:)

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 16 December 2002

Be patient, save up for a 172! Thats what im going to do. Id just do the basics, a nice exhaust and filter etc

Replacing the engine is such an insurance nightmare, and theres so much more than just the engine, then theres the labour costs..ahhh!

Though if you are desperate for an engine swap id keep it in the family and get the williams engine

Good advice. After seing the new v6 i really want one of them. But i think a 172 is the next logical step.

Paul

the old GTT engines are not unreliable...if put together bad then yes.....but that goes for any engine!

its a tried lump that has lasted the ages........give it credit...its ace.

i can strap a big turbo on you...does that make u ace?

its only unreliable when muppets go about turning every knob to max.....

principlal design is fine.........

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

no push rods are reliable

except when your doing 110mph in a mini clubman and one flys through the bonnet!

thats one badly put together motor if it can ramp off a cam, slide throught he guides, break the rocker assembly, pass thought he rocker cover and bonnet......

Pushrods are fine.......nascar still use them

The 1.4 8v pushrod turbo engine used in the 5 turbo is a very good engine. Granted it is based on a very old design, but looked after and modified properly it is a very reliable motor. They have one of the best bottom ends Ive worked with. The major worry about these engine is the label they have got for blowing head gaskets. The reason for this is simple...... Poor maintainance by their owners who dont know how to look after a car and think that you can just turn the boost up and everything will be fine.!

Take any turbo can and turn the boost up without any other mods and it will go bang too.!

Just look at the old Turbo 2 (mid-engine). That ran 160bhp in standard trim and is also a 1.4 pushrod 8v engine. In rally trim it poked out over 400bhp. So far this year I have seen a modified 5 turbo hit 357bhp.

I think some of you with older 1.4 Clios will also find your engines are also pushrod.!

The 5 engine was never a feat of excellence, as barry has said its old, it produced something like 45bhp without turbo (?). ive known 6 ren 5t owners and all their engines went. Two of them werent modified at all, one had a dumpvalve exhaust etc but boost wasnt up.

My point is, any engine will go bang if its not looked after if it has a turbo or not.

Im sure you have all seen the posts on here of peoples 172s not even lasting a few thousand miles.!

Rob, and the reason those 6 GTT owners engine went bang would probably be down to poor maintainance. Maybe not by the people that owned them when they did go bang, but possibly by previous owners.

Ive seen 5s with the thermostat removed to cover up overheating problems. This just makes the problem worse. I could come out with hundreds of horror stories of how people treat their cars and then wander why they have blown up.!

Theres always going to be new cars which go wrong, those 172 owners didnt do anything wrong, it was just renault being renault.

Like myself, and you, all my mates treated their cars like a god, and all started on unmodified cars, youd have to be stupid to buy a modifed one!

I dont think you should have to be a qualified mechanic to look after your car, whereas it seems you have to be with the old 5 Turbo. People expect (and should expect) to be able to do the general jobs like topping up oil and looking after their tyres etc and thats it, i think you have a soft spot for the 5 and are just giving it an excuse!!lol

Overall, the 5 was a great handling car, but, they had weak clutches, and all engine parts usually all went in quick succession. Now im sure that doesnt happen in a mk2 golf for example, even a mk1, which i both believe are better cars.

haha, you just dont understand that hig tec doesnt mean its better.

people are still using teh old Kent crossflow to power caterhams and westies up to 180bhp....they are over 60 yrs old in desigh and initially came out with about 50bhp.....

they are one of my fave engines, and are also pushrod, which just makes swaping the head easier, using high ration roller rockers to increase ramp and increase lift.

The GTT enigne is quite indestructable when looked after, and all your mates having theirs blow is just an example of poor maintanence. again, modding and using bolt on goddies. a sure recepie for a broken 5. Their handling is unique, not fantastic.

and i think you not understanding the engine is your excuse for slating it. its better than the one you got now.

oh, and 45bhp with no turbo.....possibly the missing turbo and low CR would add up.....;)

K-Tec said that they would do the conversion. I cannot see anything wrong with using a GTT engine as before it went into the Clio it could be completely re-built with new bottom end gaskets etc, and the head could be sorted out as well, also the Clio engine bay is larger and so larger cooling equipment could be fitted therefore helping with the biggest problems of a 5 turbo HEAT!! I think I will do it to mine soon dependant on how long the existing engine lasts! Go for it mate you would not be dissapointed and 150+bhp is easily done without risking reliability.

Marcus

Fitting an exhaust doesnt effect the cars reliability..dump valves also help out from what i know. A 1.4 turbo is one of your favourite engines ? :confused: My 1.2 isnt a bad engine, it has 75bhp, the same as many equivalent 1.4s. Anyway, thats beside the point, im not claiming it to be a fantastic engine.

Hi-tech is better..i dont see how you can think otherwise, its not all about performance, its also economy and driveability. Things progress over time, they dont get worse.

Your also making presumptions that my friends looked after their cars poorly. They didnt, i know, you dont, simple.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sorry mate but what are you talking about?

That last post was rubbish complete and utter rubbish.

What is your favorite engine out of interest?

(Mines a DFV V8 :D)

not one of my fave, the Kent is one of my fave.........but i would rather work with the GTT lump, and all i said was that its better than your 1.2.

and no, fittin and exhahust will not cause harm.....UNLESS its fitted badly and blowing, back pressure on a turbo is not theoretically needed, to take advantages of larger pressure differentials. BUT a tiny bit is needed to preserve the turbo as oil seals can leak and possibly fail altogether.

And as for high tech, most of the popular highly tunned engines are not very high tech...namely the crossflow, pinto, XE, Zetec, K series, A series, cosworths......all very basic engines.

a good engine should be the best power/$ ratio, rather than teh msot expensive and new design. The new F4R is a good engine, but not seeing much attention from tunners.

and what about the mechinical complexity of modern lumps, the harder its getting to tune them, if you want drivability, then a short duration 3.2ltr V6 is for you, oh but economy.....how about a 1ltr micra.......

Fact is, the GTT is a good engine.....which is why people dont change them for other engines....to get the same proportional increase in power, say 20%..how much would it cost on teh GTT lump and how much on yours.....

the DFV, now were talking.......!

i would have to go along the lines of the BDA for the sound alone, or the BRM H16 for the balls to do it........and that sounded even better.

The 1.4 GTT is an excellent engine and BenR is true in his comments, there is many horror stories about 5 engines but problems are more often than not caused by dodgy modifications, also as I said before the heat issue is a problem and if not watched carefully can cause many problems, also it is not the engine that is the problem it is the other bits, such as the rad etc. Also 5s are not that hard to work on it is just a case of having a bit more time and patience than if you were working on your clio engine.

True, they are a mass of pipes, half of which can be thrown out.! Like I done on one of my old 5s.

Alot of the wiring is really bad too, and alot of it can be binned.

gents all iw anna know is who does it and has anyone who has had it done got any comments sorry guys u lost me about half way down. turbo equal dump valve thats my line of thinkin. :oops:

great, another pssssssst fanatic...i personally hate that sound........

well, some people have had it done....

basically, call torsion tunning, see whats needed, apart from a donor GTT and another 1500 quid or so.

Ph1 172

I got mine done thru Torsion Tuning, and ben is correct in saying it cost £1,500 for the conversion if u have a donor car, and depending on the condition of the engine. the only reason for the cost going up is if u have the engine rebuilt with extras like silicon hosing, low temp fan switches, dumpvalves etc.

im well impressed with mine and im still running it in! cant wait to open her up properly! i would recommend it, if u have to money 2 do it. i saved 4 ages 2 get mine done! best bet would be to ring TT and ask them to give u a quote on wot u exactly want and wot ur budget is.