ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GSync graphics cards and monitors

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Agree mate. That's why I opted for the reference card. I love that style of cooler. They are very quiet whilst being good at moving air, when they become a bit louder they're not the normal whirring of a fan and make a nicer noise IMO.

I've got a Corsair540 air with all big noctua fans now and the temps have dropped to low 70s in Witcher now (compared to the 84 limit before).

BMW M4; S1000 RR
BTW since there's not many 144hz vs 4K comparisons (that I have found helpful) I'm going to make a quick vid showing the difference. I'll post it here when it's done.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
In the GPU settings you can change scaling to "No scaling". When you do that, if you load a 3D app in 1080, then it will literally display at 1080, with black borders around the screen. It's amazing to see just how few pixels 1080 occupies on a 4K screen, same with 1440 actually. But then if you add up the pixels, 1080 is 2 million pixels, 1440 is 3.7 million and 4K is 8 million!!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
...and 4K is 8 million!!!
Taking that number into a modern AAA game...

You may have anything from 10-100 shaders active per frame (depending on the underlying engine, effects, etc.) with pixel shaders that can run into hundreds of lines of code for each and every one of those 8 million pixels... and that's why we aren't really at 4K yet. Not if you want to run everything at ultra settings with 60/120/144+ Hz refresh rates. It's just a matter of time but enthusiasts will be too busy buying into 8k by then :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Taking that number into a modern AAA game...

You may have anything from 10-100 shaders active per frame (depending on the underlying engine, effects, etc.) with pixel shaders that can run into hundreds of lines of code for each and every one of those 8 million pixels... and that's why we aren't really at 4K yet. Not if you want to run everything at ultra settings with 60/120/144+ Hz refresh rates. It's just a matter of time but enthusiasts will be too busy buying into 8k by then :smile:

I keep reading from strangers on the interweb that 4K isn't there. And that it's pointless. etc etc etc. 8K is 4 times the pixels again.

Honestly though I think you have to try it, you buy a 980Ti or a TitanX. You aren't limited to it's potential performance running at a safe frame rate at the same resolution we were using 5 years ago. If you run a game at 4K on a 980Ti then you get a 980Ti's worth of performance, obviously it won't hit the same FPS that it does at a 1/4 of the resolution, but it does alright :smile: It's VERY pretty and I'd challenge anyone to try it and then tell me otherwise.

144hz maybe a better compromise, the Swift will be here tomorrow, and time will tell. I'm keen to put this debate in my head to rest!!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I keep reading from strangers on the interweb that 4K isn't there. And that it's pointless. etc etc etc. 8K is 4 times the pixels again.

Honestly though I think you have to try it, you buy a 980Ti or a TitanX. You aren't limited to it's potential performance running at a safe frame rate at the same resolution we were using 5 years ago. If you run a game at 4K on a 980Ti then you get a 980Ti's worth of performance, obviously it won't hit the same FPS that it does at a 1/4 of the resolution, but it does alright :smile: It's VERY pretty and I'd challenge anyone to try it and then tell me otherwise.
I'm no stranger! And I'm not saying it's pointless! :tonguewink: LOL! But it's still not there yet in my eyes. @Toypop makes some good points only a few posts back. Unless you are running monster SLI setups (which can bring other issues to the table) then even 1440p is a struggle for even the most powerful single GPU system if you are expecting to crank the features up to 11. And I guess that's the crux of the issue. As an enthusiast / gamer I want to see the game at it's maximum visual splendour and, in my mind, that means running at ultra settings at a resolution that allows me to do that. At home I only run 1080p and 1200p monitors so I generally can run modern games at max and comfortably hit 60fps+. I actually prefer to sacrifice the resolution so that I can enable the most intensive shaders and effects. If I have headroom I then think about introducing one or other AA method or enabling the DSR for that game. I appreciate other gamers and enthusiasts may not share my views but my developer background means I want to see the full efforts the development team have gone to in creating the game.

I'm certainly not against 4K, I'm all for it. I drive several 4K+ displays at work and they have their uses. They are great for development and graphics work but when I'm writing the 3D graphics engine / software then 4K isn't feasible for the level of visual fidelity that is often required. At the end of the day we're not seeing anything new or different here though; there will always be those buying and paying the premium for cutting-edge technology and I'm happy with that. I've done it myself for years and will probably continue to do so. It's how these things work :) I will be getting a nice 4k monitor (for 'serious stuff') and upgraded GPU for home use soon, but will be sticking to my 1080p/1200p monitors for gaming until I can get a single GPU solution that comfortably allows me to hit 4K resolutions turned all the way up to 11. Or thereabouts :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
:D

Ah it wasn't a dig pal, just any similar topic I read on other sites people just immediately jump to "there's no point in getting 4K" etc etc etc. Then you look at their signature and it says "2500K, GTX770 Amazeballs edition, WD 3 TB HDD, Windows 7 Home" and I just think... Yeah ok mate.

It definitely is a compromise. And I'm talking with half the picture still as I've not even tried a 120hz LCD screen yet. Verdict is later as the Swift is out for delivery (assuming it's a good Swift and not one with dead pixels etc- although I tend to be relatively lucky with hardware).

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I know mate, I took them lighthearted as intended :smile: I hear what you're saying and I know exactly where you're coming from.

I look forward to seeing / hearing your thoughts on the Swift (although it sounds like the Acer has already ticked a lot of boxes for you). Keep both. Be a baller! :smile:
You shut up now!!!

Swift has been delivered to a neighbour. Keen to play.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Using Witcher3 as an example- I'm not convinced I notice it being smoother. Although with ultra settings on QHD the game sits at high 60s so with Gsync the monitor is actually only refreshing as fast as the 4K one anyway (obviously on different post processing settings).

I can also 100% notice the drop in resolution. I'm going to try some other stuff- strangely enough I feel like I notice it most in Windows so far!!

Just had a quick session in BF4, it plays beautifully.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't want to be a GSync sucker, honestly I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it on or off. But you guys were right, 144hz is definitely noticeable. To the point that I'm currently thinking that I'll send the 4K monitor back. It's a beauty no doubt, but other than the GSync (which again, it certainly doesn't make 40fps look like 60fps to me like a lot of comments on various sites say) there's nothing special about it. You can get an AOC 4K monitor from Amazon for £260. I'm actually wondering whether to get that for a laugh, but then I don't need 2 monitors.

Maybe a 4K TV next that I can plug the PC into....

2560x1440 still looks good, it's very noticeable that I'm down on some pixels from earlier today, but I think the smoothness makes it acceptable. And the 980Ti does a nice job of making things look pretty whilst still pushing high framerates.

Honestly I know you guys might think- unless EVERYTHING'S on max then get the f**k out. But dialling back a few settings in some games isn't the end of the world to me.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Both of the monitors were delivered with EU 2 pin plugs. The Acer took a normal kettle lead so I didn't even notice. The Swift has a fancy little power brick so I chopped the plug off and put a UK one on (YOLO).

Emailed Amazon at the same time (2 hours ago) and this is their reply:

Hello,

I am Vaibhav from Amazon Customer Services and I got your email today. I'll be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to learn that the item came without UK plug.

To properly check on this issue, we’ll need to carry out a physical check of the item in our Fulfilment Centre.

I’ve requested that someone from our Fulfilment Team checks our inventory of Asus PG278Q LCD Monitor.

We’ll get back to you within 2 business days with an update on this.

Else, If you wish to have partial refund of 10%. Please let us know.

You can purchase a UK plug adapter.

If you don’t hear from us within this time, please let us know by replying to this e-mail.

You can also reach us by chat or phone from this link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us&tag=cliospnet01-21

I’m sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

Classic Amazon <3

We didn't send you a PLUG, so we'll refund you £55. Haha. Deal.

F82 M4
Then it's settled. A Rog Swift for £500, what more can you want! :D

Give HON a whirl mate as it will of course easily play above 144 fps. I love how smooth my Dota is. When I'm at LAN there's no end of people coming behind me and gawping :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep, you were right Wilkeh, I am loving it. Can't wait for the day 4K is available at 120hz. My Amazon shopping basket is ready and waiting.

HoN plays very nice I must say- but again- the lower resolution is upsetting me in this transition period. The game seems to have a 125fps frame limit which it sits at- I'm not going to bother looking into why for the sake of an extra 20 frames though- it looks nice enough.

Not sure how I survived on fullHD for so long!!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Decent!

The effect of 144hz seems to have worn off and it's just normal now. The Acer Predator is waiting for DPD pickup on Thursday. The extra power of the 980 is a perfect companion for the QHD screen too, max settings on GTA5 and I have 100+ FPS. HoN plays lovely. Windows is still nice and smooth.

All round a really decent package! (although you'd expect that for the money in all fairness!!)