ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Speed Sensor Problem and Solution

Coupe/Defender V8
I was trying to find a guide for this and as I couldn't see one, thought this may help.

My speedo yesterday started dropping off and then starting again. It would do it when accelerating hard or going over a certain speed.
It happened several times and I came on here and saw the suggestion of changing the gearbox speed sensor.

I called Renault and the new part was £18.98 + VAT @ 15%.

To change the part you need to remove your engine cover, which is 4 bolts. You then need to jack the passenger side up and secure it with an axle stand.

Go under the car and removed the under tray which is 4x 10mm bolts.

Once this is complete, look right down the back of the engine bay and next to the manifold you will see the sensor.

Turn the heat shield on the sensor and pull it off. Unclip the wire on the top of the sensor and go back under the car.

Where the sensor attaches to the gearbox, there is a metal bracket, which attaches to the gearbox mount. There should be a hole either side of this mount and then another hole in the inside of that. You need to slip a thin screwdriver in this hole and push in the clips. Normally people would push clips both sides but as the gearbox housing is awkwardly placed I found the easiest way was to snap the clip on one side. Once you have snapped it and you can feel it does not push in any more, go to the top of your engine bay again and pull the sensor and it should come out.

Get the new sensor, make sure you line the hole up with the sensor and insert it in, and then push until the clips attach. Give it a small wiggle to make sure it’s all in correctly.

Put the plug into the top of the sensor, then re-attached the heat shield and turn it around so it faces the manifold again.

Put the engine cover back on, do the 4 bolts up, then go back under the car and re-attach the under tray. Remove the axle stand and jack and lower the car back down.

Put down the bonnet, take the car for a drive and all should be good.

Good luck!