ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flickering sidelights!!!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Got some LED sidelights off eBay, they were recommended alot on a thread on this forum with loads trying them and finding them excellent, but they both flicker. So, I contacted the seller and got some more sent out, and now they flicker too... Its not noticeable until I park up against my garage door, or unless I stand and look at the car, but still I hate it!

Why are they flickering? Is it just rubbish sidelights? Confused as noone else has ever mentioned this!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Every set of SMD LED sidelights i've ever bought have started flickering eventually.

I put it down to them receiving 14v from the alternator when the car is running rather than the 12v they're designed to run on. Either that, or the heat from using the main beam damages them. LED's don't like heat.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Every set of SMD LED sidelights i've ever bought have started flickering eventually.

I put it down to them receiving 14v from the alternator when the car is running rather than the 12v they're designed to run on. Either that, or the heat from using the main beam damages them. LED's don't like heat.

Seems to make sense! Tried them earlier, they're fine when the car is off, then when the engine is on they flicker, unsure if its only after driving though, its only ever when I pull back onto my drive I notice so when the engine is hot.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@Ethan1996

Here is a youtube video of the sidelight in my Trophy with the engine NOT running

And here is a video with the engine running mate

Last edited by a moderator:
  1.6 Astra Sporthatch
@Ethan1996

Here is a youtube video of the sidelight in my Trophy with the engine NOT running

And here is a video with the engine running mate

Weird one, don't see why mine should be any different! Same bulbs, both Clios!

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
As i say mine are the best sidelights i have ever had in any of my cars.

I can't fault them and i could leave them on for 15mins with no problems

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
As i say mine are the best sidelights i have ever had in any of my cars.

I can't fault them and i could leave them on for 15mins with no problems

No idea then, they've sent me another bulb to try so will fit that tomorrow probably and see if theres any difference, they keep telling me to buy these extra load resistors which apparently stop them flickering.