ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First 172 mods, how do they sound?

Monaco 172
Alright guys,

If you haven't seen my introduction thread I am Shep and I'm new here. I have a 172 and it is completely standard. I am looking at keeping it pretty standard but have a couple of plans performance wise.

I was just wondering if these are good mods to start with:

KTR panel filter
KTR Stealth Supersport Catback System
KTR Carbon Front Splitter
Smoked Side Repeaters
Rear wheel bearing

and a possible remap/setup with the following performance mods. Unsure where the best place to go being in Blackpool or is it just worth get an RS tuner and putting a map on it myself?

Eventually I would like to drop it a little and have it sitting on some speedline turinis in anthracite. I have plenty of time and prams/cots to buy first lol.

All comments and opinions appreciated.

Cheers

172 Cup
Depends how much you want to spend; you can pick up a Skoda splitter for less than £20 off eBay which, with a little bit of a modification, can be attached to the bottom of the front bumper. This is a popular modification and considered to be the best value for money.

Panel filter wise, there are a number of options available. I went for the Pipercross panel filter which cost me £36 including postage (have a look at this thread for more information).

The rear wheel bearings are pressed into the rear discs and could be a bit laborious to replace on their own unless you have a bearing press or suitable tools available at your disposal. When doing the rear brakes on my Clio, I just decided to buy complete new hub and disc assemblies to avoid this hassle and be safe in the knowledge that the wheel bearings would not need changing in the near future (£94 for a set of Pagid replacements from eurocarparts).

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends how much you want to spend; you can pick up a Skoda splitter for less than £20 off eBay which, with a little bit of a modification, can be attached to the bottom of the front bumper. This is a popular modification and considered to be the best value for money.

Hes already said hes getting a KTR Carbon splitter so i would assume he knows where a splitter goes.

Seems to be alot of people bringing cars out of nowhere. Wish i brought mine instead of bloody paying for it

Monaco 172
Is an RS Tuner worth it or is it better getting it remapped and rolling roaded? If so wheres best near to Blackpool - willing to travel but not ridiculous distance.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Is an RS Tuner worth it or is it better getting it remapped and rolling roaded? If so wheres best near to Blackpool - willing to travel but not ridiculous distance.

Obviously a 'live' map on a RR would be better but I wouldn't bother unless you have extensive engine work/ cams etc.
The RS Tuner is pound for pound the best mod I have done to the 172.

Monaco 172
I'm sure someone said that they added a panel filter and exhaust and decat, had it live mapped and they were on 200bhp

Clio 172, Pug 106
RS Tuners have a fantastic reputation, il probably end up getting one in the near future..

Regarding 200bhp from a panel filter,exhaust and decat... i find it doubtful!

I'm sure someone said that they added a panel filter and exhaust and decat, had it live mapped and they were on 200bhp

A lot claim 200bhp very little achieve it ! glad to hear you like the car mate , as said good few mods to go at , the carbon splitters are good but expensive if it gets ripped off so a lot go with Skoda fabia ones (ive got one on mine)

KTR are very good exhausts mines a janspeed ktr one for the 182 though , awesome fit etc and nice noise !!
Rs tuner as said is a good mod , RR is always better but its hard find a good place to do it , and RS tuner will cope just fine , panel filters are good the other options are the KTR induction kit , or a renault Espace 3.0 v6 airbox with a K&N (again i use this) and they give more noise better performance but alot cheaper !

As said if i was you id replace the rear discs and pads while your at it unless they are new as they have to strip them as the bearings inside the disc , and then youve got it all sorted at the back end !!

Keep it up and get some photos up !!

Monaco 172
I'll get photos up once I have it lol. Just waiting on the plate change through DVLA. The lad has the tax back and plates etc just the v5 that's taking a while.

Once I have that I'll get some pics up and then fit new parts and have a progress thread.

Just trying to get my hands in an RS tuner, what's the best map for the 172?

I'll get photos up once I have it lol. Just waiting on the plate change through DVLA. The lad has the tax back and plates etc just the v5 that's taking a while.

Once I have that I'll get some pics up and then fit new parts and have a progress thread.

98 ron map, the other is a over run map that will break things lol

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
personally i would get a Skoda splitter, a Whiteline Rear ARB, a decent set of tyres on some 15" wheels and spend the rest on petrol.

I would refrain from buying a carbon splitter unless you really really want one, but i would opt for the matte finish. I have the smooth one and it looks a mess its covered in stone chips and the lacquer has started to peel. Over priced piece of tat tbh.

Skoda splitter will be my next option. Other mods you are having sound good, RSTuner is the best mod for the money imo.

Some reason i read your username as "sheepcabin" lol:S

Clio 172, Pug 106

I have just realised.... your Garnz's mate Luke right?

Clio 172, Pug 106
The Sherminator!!! Lol. Yeah mate that is me :) glad I've found your profile I want to perve on your Clio! I saw it the other week, it's gorgeous mate.

Haha no sweat..... when you get yours will get some snaps done of them!

I know Andy who you bought it from aswell... its a tidy car!

Monaco 172
Haha no sweat..... when you get yours will get some snaps done of them!

I know Andy who you bought it from aswell... its a tidy car!

Yeah he said he knew you. He recognised garnz when I went to see it. What coilovers/suspension have you got?