ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO-Nick Read and NO2

hiya mate, just looking through old mags and say your clio in the revs 0-60 challenge thing......and 7.7 secs, not too shabby, but was this before the engine mods?
Anyway, the real reason i posted was to ask about nos. I am talking to a guy in the states and he has a 2nd has nos kit for sale, about 200 quid for a 60BHP jet....but its not a wet kit, but a dry kit, meaning i have to make the injector push out more fuel by passing the nos pressure into the fuel pressure regulator....but my car aint got one.
How much would it be for a wet system where fuel and nos is added through the same nozzle. about 50BHP would be cool, and how hard are they to fit yourself?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

on your 1.4?
nice, will it take 50bhp though?
I no the gear box will but a 50bhp boost on the engine?

Why bother? The best engine that Renault ever made (apart from the 2.5 V6 turbo from R25 or Alpine), was the 1.4 GT Turbo. Buy one of these and a mild tune will easily end up with a RELIABLE 200+ bhp. This will be a far better choice, if not cheaper to run and modify. Nitrous has had a massive impact on the tuninig world, and with claims of 50+ bhp, its not suprising. However if you read into it, the cars that are producing 500+ bhp can expect these sort of increases, but under 200 bhp this is not the case. In the land of nitrous, the cars such as civics etc can run sub 11sec 1/4 miles with nitrous, but UNDER 12sec. WITHOUT!!!!

the point is, i am trying to buy a modded engine off someone, (another rt engine) that produces 100BHP per ltr. And since buying a 5GTT egine will need to be striped and rebuilt, at least a grand to buy and mod to a decent power, then 2 grand to fit.....more of a reason to bother with the drop in rt engine!!! 700 quid for 130BHP!! then another 200 for a NO2 kit!!! i save money, and i would rather buy a r5 GTT if i was gonna want a turbo engine......i think they look better...but i donet like the inside...so any help with the nitr would be great....cost of a wet kit?

BMW 320d Sport

Well that 0-60 in 7.7 was without nitrous last summer. Youd have noticed that all these cars that supposedly do sub 8 seconds look pretty shabby when the results are there in black and white. The only quicker cars on the day were 106 gtis or 2.0s or turbos. So I was pretty pleased with that.

Dont know much about dry systems, but they seem to be a bit of a weird way to do things. However it works (and i think I can figure ot from what youve said about the pressure regulator), the bottom line is you must be forcing the injectors to flow at a rate far in excess of what theyve designed for. And if theyre not flowing that much, then youre not getting enough fuel into the cylinders to match the nitrous.

Dry systems seem to be a bit of a wacko idea to me. Mines a wet system with a combined nitrous and fuel injector that fires both in the correct proportion so the ECU has the relatively simple, and safe, task of making small adjustments to the injector duration to keep the mix spot on. Mine was about £600 all up. You could ask what exactly is contained in the kit thats for sale, then get hold of a combined nitrous/fuel injector and get it hooked up to the dry kit.

Your RT would fly with 50bhp, just make sure you dont fire it until your engine is making max power anyway, otherwise youll kill your clutch and gearbox straight away, too much transmission shock. Probably knacker the con rods and crankshaft as well.

yeah, i woudnt really fire it off until over 2500-3000rpm....but will get uprated clutch anyway. Dont think you can get a dry system to work with a wet system as ther is no solenoid for the fuel, it just pushes the NO2 pressure into the fuel regulator to increase flow...i agree, its overly complicated...i have emailed NOS in america to see if they can get the parts to me for cheap, they have a hit called the top shot which is a hidden system that is contained in the actual air filter cone!!!

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah thats kind of what I meant Ben, cannibalise your 2nd hand dry kit for the bits you can use and then get everything else (solenoids etc) to convert it to a wet kit. Thinking about it, by the time youve got all the different fittings youd need, youd have been better off just getting a brand new wet system in the UK for £500 or £600.