ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine mods (internal) 182/172

I know most of the talk on here about engine mods is related to air filter and ECU.

But what gains/driveability improvements could you expect from headwork ie. gas flowing, bigger valves etc. on a 182.

I assume breathing and exhaust mods would also be needed.

Ive seen it Fred very very nice and I imagine expensive!

I was more thinking of how effective headwork is on this type of engine. Exhausts, filters and ECUs are always covered and as far as I can tell gains are minimal. They are easy bolt on mods that people are probably happier doing.

Throttle bodies are an expensive mod I was wondering about more the sort of middle ground between the bolt on mods and full on throttle bodies or turbos.

Lionel Richie

headwork is always a good idea on a half decent N/A engine

headwork + cams + inlet manifold work would take you over the 200bhp mark

we saw 200bhp out of nevs Cup using our cams, i think it was the fastest N/A 172/182 at RTOC

With different cams I take it the engine has more top end power but suffers lower down?

I think if I modded mine it would be to get torque as much as power so it was still useable.

Just out of interest what would throttle bodies, cams, headwork, smt cost roughly?

Would the engine be reliable and driveable day to day with these mods?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..depending on where you go and your choice on cams route..VERY roughly..bodies £3.5-4kish (pending on what you want exactly from the car), head £500ish, cams £2-500ish, smt £500ish, down to your budget and how crazy you are to spend £ on a clio :oops: (very driveable)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 29 August 2005

we saw 200bhp out of nevs Cup using our cams, i think it was the fastest N/A 172/182 at RTOC
Dont want to cause a ruck but I expected Nevs car to quite a bit quicker than it was if it has 200bhp & stripped out?

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

go ..

full system with no cat
cams
inlet manifold work (you have two levels of work)
AngelWorks Sprint Head
ITG Maxogen
SMT6 or other remap.

Should see you over 200 brake nicely. You may need new injectors at that point (I did, to stay safe)

Andy GDI and BenR will sort you out.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 29 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 29 August 2005headwork is always a good idea on a half decent N/A engine

[/QUOTE]Dont want to cause a ruck but I expected Nevs car to quite a bit quicker than it was if it has 200bhp & stripped out?

he had 0 traction, apparenly

remember a full stripped cup with driver is still around 950kg

the rusty sh*tboxes are sub 900

;)

ross - no comment

shall we get one of those massive inflatable boxing rings and setup at GDI?

with the massive boxing gloves?

ill be the bint with the round number board, i got my speedos in the car all the time.

ok ok, ill wax my bikini line and spray tan my thighs.

ergh.......theres an image. (speedos are black with green strip across it for better detail).

thanks for info.

Fred I will talk to you about it when I get my coilovers fitted, and if you could arrange a test drive of yozzas car it would give me an idea of what the difference between standard and tuned is;).

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 29 August 2005

Dont want to cause a ruck but I expected Nevs car to quite a bit quicker than it was if it has 200bhp & stripped out?

he had 0 traction, apparenly

remember a full stripped cup with driver is still around 950kg

the Mk1s are just quicker than the lardy Mk2s. Fact!

ross - no comment
Couldnt agree more mate.;)

Lionel Richie

yeah thats exactly what i meant martin, my vocabulary has gone down hill since i got kicked out of school