ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine completely broken - feasible to replace it?

Renault Clio 172
Hi. 2003 Clio 172 here. I was sat at the lights the other day when my engine died. I believe the alternator belt seized and came off, one thing led to another and the engine broke. To quote the chap from the RAC, "every one of your valves is bent".

I'm currently looking at my options and I'm wondering if it would be more sensible/economical to have the engine rebuilt or to have it replaced. I appreciate that might be a really stupid question but that's where I am at the moment. What can I expect the different options to cost, how feasible is it to replace the engine? If I decide to pack it in, what's the process like selling it for parts? (It recently had some new parts put on it so I'd like to recoup what I can from those if it comes to it.)

I'd be grateful for any guidance you could give me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Drop a replacement engine in mate, less hassle.

Stick a wanted thread up on here asking what your after mate. With belts done too.

RB Clio 182
You can pick an engine up for £200 mate so its not like the end of the world, a good set of front brake pads cost similar.

You can pick an engine up for £200 mate so its not like the end of the world, a good set of front brake pads cost similar.
Are there not issues with immobilisers/ecus? I know someone who had an engine go in a van and he was basically fucked unless he replaced the entire ignition/ecu/keys/engine. (He didn't - traded it in lol)

i replaced my mates engine and we used all his old ecu etc. Just make sure you buy a decent engine, he got one and it blew up couple of weeks later lol

monaco 172
If your only changing the main block and head I can't see why the imobiliser etc would cause any problems

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are there not issues with immobilisers/ecus? I know someone who had an engine go in a van and he was basically fucked unless he replaced the entire ignition/ecu/keys/engine. (He didn't - traded it in lol)

That will be a mechanical fuel pump operated by timing, controlled by electrics. I had a similar issue with a transit. My mechanic did try and explain it but I lost interest! Lol

No issues like that on a clio though, Ancillaries off, Old engine out, new engine in, ancillaries on. Bosh.