ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU Interface....

Just curious if anyone has used something like the gear from www.o2.com to do some datalogging and stuff on their car.

Ive used that kind of gear on my previous car to great effect - its very handy for working out what to mod and how mods are affecting performance.

But I cant even find the ECU diagnostic port on the damn Clio! Any tips where to go looking?

Aaron

Can you get something like that for a phase 1 16v?

Is there a cheaper option for a home user to hook the ECU up to a PC for diagnostics?

Im not looking for a chip to boost power - Im lookin for a data logger type device.

BTW I have had some experience with the PowerChip people, in Australia they have in the past advertised chips and gains for cars theyve never actually had a chip for.

Ofcourse that may have changed but I would be wanting a full Dyno run before and after on the same day.

182 cup, 8 gordini

hi guys have had deep and meaningfull decuscions with facom over this problem. i have a after market diag for the renault and pug range but they cant tell me when a new chip will be sold to talk to the 172..... will let you know when avalible... until then unfortuntly the clip is the only way in.... i have tried to conneted it through a lap top but there is a interface built into the bottom of the clip lap top..... which stuffed me completely...
rgards paul

Well according to stuff Ive been reading lately its an EOBD compliant interface - and that means the gear i have shoudl in theory talk to it. depending on the interface type (ie protocol it uses)...

That can be determined by the wiring pinout of the connector. So if anyone has a wiring diagram for the connector should what wires are linked up that can be sussed out ;)

your gonna have to get past the security code and immob.

Which is main problem with the 172 chip

For the umpteeth time I dont want to change the code in the ECU... I want to extract data out of the ECU, ie sensor values, load, temperatures, throttle position, vehicle speed, rpm etc.

And as of last night I managed to do it. Im still working on getting a continuous flow of info out of the ecu but hopefully with some more software tweaking that will be int he bag soon.

The data streams coming out of the car ARE NOT encrypted, they must be readable within certain standards.. Do a search on EOBD and see what I mean.

Pic of the Dash mode of my software follows...

http://aaron.ausmicro.com/images/DigiDash.jpg

As you can see the car is stationary, at idle (780RPM), and the coolant is still warming up. But you can also see the Intake air temp (45 degrees) is quite high becuase the car had been parked all day in the sun.

This kind of data is very useful for tracking the effect of modifications and seeing how they affect the performance of the car. Ihave used it in the past to compare ECU programming, comapre drivers and cars on closed circut driving (can overlay time data onto a track position map and see how theyre operating throttle etc ....

All very handy ;)

A.

*laugsh* Ben, 2nd in this thread... ;) When I first launched the idea (both here and in a couple of other forums) I got a lot of the change code thing ;) So I guess I was generalising... My apologies for the exaggeration ;)

*grins*

not seen any of the other threads.....

Anyway, have fun with your live data aquisitions......!