ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'easy' way to tighten upper g'box mount?

i'm looking at my engine mounts at the moment and am wondering if there's an 'easy' way to tighten the lower nut on the upper gearbox mount - ?

i've got the battery and the airbox out of the way but there's still not much room to swing anything really:dapprove:

ed. also, i'm assuming this one is torn (?):
enginemountuh1.jpg

Shot with FinePix F601 ZOOM at 2008-01-30

Last edited:
right; i think i've done all i can by using a t-bar on the top nut to twist the mount whilst tightening the lower nut with a spanner
can anyone confirm that the lower g'box mount in the picture is shot? i'm assuming it has torn away from the upright part on the right hand side - ?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
it comes seperated like that, but it looks a bit old,
when you tightened the top gear box one it should just stop once its as tight as it will go !! if you do it too mugh on an old mount it will break the mount, did you removeit to inspect it, or just tighten it up,

thanks for the reply; that's good news then - at least it doesn't require immediate replacement.

i checked the top mount in-situ - looks ok to me.

i was checking them all due to the return of knocking noises - turned out it was the upper g'box mount lower nut having worked loose again

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah when you do change the bottom one, use what Fred said, but also oik the bottom one out with a screw driver on top of it compressign it down and push iit down and towards the front of the car