ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers Footwell Water Leak, Possible Blocked Drain?

PH1 172 Sport
On the way home today I noticed that my drivers mat and the carpet are soaked. When I got back the carpet came up and the yellow soundproofing underneath is like a wet sponge!

First thing I did was check the door seals which seemed fine so out come the hose! I sprayed the water in every direction I could aiming at the door and no water got passed the seals into the car. I couldn't locate where is was coming in so Ive left the carpet up with the hope that it drys!

Ive tried a search and from what I can tell its probably the drains under the scuttle panel that are blocked or possibly the aircon drain pipe?

I took the drivers side scuttle panel off but couldn't see any drains. To find them do I need to remove everything in there? Also where is the aircon drain pipe?

I'm going to give a service tomorrow weather permitting so just need some help in pinpointing this leak.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Black 172 ph2
I had the same problem and it wasnt till i polished the car i noticed a slight gap in my side skirt where the water was getting in and then coming out from under the passangers seat.

Fixed the issue now just waiting for all the water to get out and dry up :(

Black 172 ph2
Think its gettin into the side skirt then sloshin around and then coming in. Just been driving round with the heaters on full to try and dry it out but i can still hear some water sloshing around

Da

Less
It's more likely the scuttle drains as you said. The main one is in the centre coming out on the bulkhead down behind the engine, you'll need to look carefully for a smalll rubber hose emerging from the bulkhead.

PH1 172 Sport
It's more likely the scuttle drains as you said. The main one is in the centre coming out on the bulkhead down behind the engine, you'll need to look carefully for a smalll rubber hose emerging from the bulkhead.

Thinking about it ive seen that hose! I'll take a look tomorrow and cross my fingers that its a simple fix!

Da

Less
It has a small flap on the end of it which is designed to stop water being forced up the hose and into the scuttle area. I've found that this flap sometimes gets lodged causing a blockage and thus water builds up under the scuttle and drips into the footwell via the low level heater vents.

PH1 172 Sport
Well the scuttle drain pipes were fine. So I scratched my head for a while and then stood by the car with the hose for 5 minutes. Water then started to pour in from under the plastic covering the inside of the skirt. So I pulled the cover off and noticed an oval gromit which I pulled off and saw that the whole inside of the skirt was full of water.

After a bit of invesigation I found a drain hole for the inside of the skirt. Its located next to the rear jacking point and it was blocked solid. Once I unblocked it I drained 5 litres of water out in total!!!

Clio dynamique s
Hello this is my first thread,I've had the water in the drivers side front and rear footwells,I took the plastic front off and cleaned out left and right side drainage holes! Put every thing back dry,then a couple of days ago it pored down and now I'm back to square one,I read there is a small pipe with a flap coming out of the bulk head this might be blocked.so this morning I pulled the front apart again but I cannot find this pipe please someone help before I leave it with the pikeys to destroy!:dapprove:

PH1 172 Sport
It will either be a blocked drainage hole in the skirt. There are 3 of them under the car on each side along the skirt.

Or you need to remove the front wheel arch liner and them is a drain at the bottom that gets blocked with crud. I took about 2 handfuls out from there last time I cleaned it!

Clio 1.2 04 plate
Good Morning! As my username suggest I am not the most technically gifted when it comes to cars. I have the same problems as a lot of other users on here when it comes to leaks in my clio 04 plate. As I've said I don't know hardly anything about the repairing side of cars so my best friend is google/youtube. The first thing I found to try was to take the sunroof out and check that the drainage holes were clear, they were and the water flowed straight through and out under the wheel arches. And then I came across this forum, thank god! I didn't think I would be alone in this problem due to hearing that it was a very common problem with Clios. I am going to get my friend to have a look at some of the possible fixes that I've read on here. ie; under the suttle panel/windscreen cover. Now hopefully with the help of other peoples replies I can find a solution to this problem. Now with regards to my other leak I haven't read of this issue anywhere as of yet... In the corner of the roof near the windscreen I am getting very wet patches there which has now turned the roofing felt a light green colour. Can anyone solve this for me please?

Thanks in advance

Glenn

Clio MK2
I had the same problem with mine.. I had a big water leak, Literally causing puddles in my car, at one point I had to use big pint glasses to empty my car full of the water, Luckily it was only on the drivers side, Front + Rear. Floors were ruined. The smell was horrendous and I almost gave up on it all as it just kept coming back.

After careful consideration I decided to ignore my dad and brother and take my drivers seat out, Rip the carpet up and see what the problem was.. I was unable to drive my car for days as the second I done this, the water was slowly getting less.. In the end, I decided enough of waiting and got the hose and sat it over my car.. sitting inside the car I could actually hear the water treadling down into my car.. So as I saw, It was actually coming through the heater foot vents.. So I took them apart, Drained them, Sealed back up the hatch and then.. Boom. No more water coming through, It took a day or two to actually dry the sponge out, f**king things are a nightmare! Then put it all back together and its been perfect since, only problem is that my bottom vents dont actually work ahah, but i'd rather leave them than f**k around with it and get the same problem again, But. Basically.. Check what you dont think it is.. just to be sure.

@Clueless If you can actually see where its wet to cause this.. Mould? Then take it off and look closely at it.. Because it might not actually be your sunroof, Everyone thought it was mine.. But i proved them wrong :D

If not, just get a mechanic just to look over your car.. Its simple, Plus if you know him, it'll be free. :D

Goodluck.

Clio 1.2 04 plate
Morning Gregaarrss. Thanks for your reply :) I'm going to start on my car at the weekend and see what I can find but I definitely feel more optimistic now after hearing of your findings! Like you said it is a f*****g nightmare and even more annoying when your girlfriends moaning about her shoes getting wet because the floors soaked through! Think if I don't sort it soon my floor will collapse and it'll have to be driven like a flintstone car! Ill let you know how I get on at the weekend, thanks again for your help.

Well the scuttle drain pipes were fine. So I scratched my head for a while and then stood by the car with the hose for 5 minutes. Water then started to pour in from under the plastic covering the inside of the skirt. So I pulled the cover off and noticed an oval gromit which I pulled off and saw that the whole inside of the skirt was full of water.

After a bit of invesigation I found a drain hole for the inside of the skirt. Its located next to the rear jacking point and it was blocked solid. Once I unblocked it I drained 5 litres of water out in total!!!

Oh man, i'm so glad I found this! My drivers floor has been getting completely SOAKED in the rain. My scuttle drains were clear as far as i could tell, there is ALWAYS water getting in under the sill-plastic, i assumed it was getting in to the door seal via the headliner or some other point and then running down into the sill and on into the carpet..
I'll have to check these jacking points, if the drain is at the rear, I'm always parked facing down on a slope so i guess that's why it pools there..

My Drivers A-pillar/headliner is always wet to the touch and water will seep if you give it a hard press after a long rain. So I'm guessing i have a knackered sunroof seal anyway..

clio 172 mk2 phase 1
Any one have a pic of this pipe?