ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DOGBONE BUSHES (THE SOLUTION )! ?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Not sure if this should be in here or problems and there solutions.

Most people on her will probly have changed the dogbone mount for a new reno one, or to reduce the engine movment a powerflex uprated bush set .
Renault ones are to soft and allow too much engine movement and sloppy gearchange . If you fit powerflex or uprated bushes the vibrations in the car on tickover, are Not what you want in an everyday car but do reduce engine movement and improve gearchange feel.
I couldnt put up with this so swopped em for original renault again.
Also had one made by viratechnics for me this was same as powerflex results still too much vibration in the car on idle :mad:

After trying to find a solution/compromise I took off the std mount (first pic) and turned the big bush thru 90deg (2nd pic), to do this you need to spray penetrating oil or wd40 around the edges where it fits in its mount so you can then turn it. Do this carefully so as not to damage rubber hence the need for oil allow to soak ,also you will need a bench vice to clamp the bush and carefully turn the mount 90 deg and make sure is central and square to refit .

Std bush position has gaps either side to stop vibration but when turned thru 90 deg these are at top and bottom and solid rubber is against moving direction points of bush .

See attached pics to try and explain.

This greatly reduces engine movement and improves gear change BUT because rubber is softer than poly it does not give you the vibration on idle that a powerflex bush does .( you will get a bit of viration on idle when you first refit it this will go after a week or so as the rubber softens) I have done this to mine and is a great improvement to std without the vibration of uprated bushes .

If you try it and knacker the bush or have problems thats not down to me :eek: (just lettin you all know what I have done )
BUT
Been on my car now for 5000 mils and no problems at all better gear change car feels tighter to drive NO vibration on tickover .
Perfect soulution imo and cheaper than a powerflex bush kit (costs sweet FA) with none of the downsides !!

Attachments

• std bush.jpg
    std bush.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 213
  • modded bush.jpg
    modded bush.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
  S3, Polo
My dogbone was fitted like this and still allowed the manifold to smack into the subframe!

I'm really enjoying the changes brought on by uprating to the Powerflex bush, because my car is rarely idling!

One thing to bear in mind is that WD40 is oil-based and will reduce the life of the rubber, silicone is best!

ClioSport 172 Cup
You really dont get that much vibration with the powerflex kit, at first yes but it calms down as it beds in. There really are no downsides with installing a poly bush. You just have the reassurance that you will never have to look at that dogbone again! I don`t know what mileage you have done but your standard renault dogbone bushes will fail sooner rather than later i`m afraid.

Nissan 350z
So why is it that some people experience vibration on idle and others do not? Surely that would mean theres something else causing the idle vibration rather than the powerflex mount itself?

Maybe if you experience idle vibration with the powerflex mount it means your other gearbox mount is shot for example?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So why is it that some people experience vibration on idle and others do not? Surely that would mean theres something else causing the idle vibration rather than the powerflex mount itself?

Maybe if you experience idle vibration with the powerflex mount it means your other gearbox mount is shot for example?

No mate I changed em all before is fine now i have done this mod 5000miles and no problems didnt say dont fit powerflex bushes just sayin that i got vibration on idle with them and suggested this as an alternative .

b/g 182, meg tourer
i find tthat my 182 with k-tek (vibra technics) engine mounts and poly dogbone does add a little more vibration. but not enough to put me off using it as a daily drive. slightly noticable increase in vibration at idle but when your rolling and going through the gears it is a fantastic improvement imo and well worth a little added vibration at idle.

RS RIP
You really dont get that much vibration with the powerflex kit, at first yes but it calms down as it beds in. There really are no downsides with installing a poly bush. You just have the reassurance that you will never have to look at that dogbone again! I don`t know what mileage you have done but your standard renault dogbone bushes will fail sooner rather than later i`m afraid.

Not true , please do check your dogbone regularly to see if the mounting bolts are still in good nick. Cases (not many) have been on here where the bolts were ripped out of their threads/gearbox thread :eek: When your taking the flex out of the engine, imagine these torque-forces pulling on the stiffer mounts

I will trie to look up the last thread of someones experience with this

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just another update on this still working fine NO problems at all :approve:
(done another 300 mile or so )

If you try it and knacker the bush or have problems thats not down to me :eek: (just lettin you all know what I have done )