ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Diving" on roundabouts

"Navy" N17 TWO
Comming home from a meet on Sunday, I came off the motorway and around the roundabout towards town...

As I went around the roundabout, the car seemed to dive towards the front left more than it normaly would (even if you had std suspension) I was doing about 25-30ish at the time.

I've had Sportline springs fitted since end of October, and running on Toyo T1-R's

At first I thought the tyres were soft but they're fine, I had checked threads & pressures the previous day :S

Is this any-way normal?

421 Cammed 172
My 206 used to do this, it turned out to be a knackered ball joint on that.

Just a thought.

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't worry unless it happens more than once or twice.

My money's on a slippery patch of road or something trivial.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
push down on top of both wheel arches, if the passenger side seems really soft its probably a shock absober gone boom.

thats what was up with mine.

rps13
errrrm silly question, but did you:

A. have the car in gear

B. just throw it into the corner with no accelerator and power out?

"Navy" N17 TWO
^
A. Of course, 2nd gear
B. No, was accelerating between 25-30ish at the time as you come off that roundabout into a 50 zone

"Navy" N17 TWO
Quick question on the cornering subject;

What's wrong when you are coming around a long sweeping corner at 50mph, and your opposite tyre is rumbling? :S
(front right tyre on a left bend & vice-versa)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Either sounds like its not finding grip or the ball joints etc. Did you check for leaky shocks?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Another few spirited drives and all seems fine, no pulling to the side or anything.

On the bigger roundabouts, it's when going about 40mph you get the feeling the front splitter is going to scuff the ground - is that normal? lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Quick question on the cornering subject;

What's wrong when you are coming around a long sweeping corner at 50mph, and your opposite tyre is rumbling? :S
(front right tyre on a left bend & vice-versa)

Car is doing this again - everything is fine (tyres, pressures, shocks, springs, ball joints and tracking)
Also this on a dry road on a sunny day too :S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How do you know the shock is fine? I've had two broken ones and neither was leaking, does it feel like the wheel is bending inwards? Thats how mine felt when it was buggered.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Hmm any way of checking them then?

It sounds like the drivers-side tyre is flat when going around a sharpish left corner

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Take them off and check them? Mine had no resistance on the downwards damping.

A SHED!
*HELP* mine is diving at every corner....i can hear a creaking at slow speed turning?

Would this be the ball joints? how much are ball joints to buy and fit? my cup has eibach sportlines on std dampers 57k miles. The std dampers dont seem to be leaking? Does anyone have a pic of a knackered and good ball joint? so that i know what to look for. Thanks

"Navy" N17 TWO
You'll need to get underneath and give the ball joints a good tug and check if there is any play in them.
Mine needed replaced at MOT and only noticed the play in it when it was on the shakers
so the car passed on the basis I got the joints changed :)

Take them off and check them? Mine had no resistance on the downwards damping.

Car seems fine in any other situation - roundabouts are fine now and taking corners a bit easier - just if you're ever pushing it you get the rumble :S

Clio 182 with cup kits
Not read all the other posts on here but having read your post, it's sounds like a case of under steer.; Common on front wheel drive vehicles. You may have hit a patch of oily road or change in road surface. if this happens, always come off the power and it will correct itself ( hopefully) .

"Navy" N17 TWO
Definetly not something on the road mate - same thing happens on a few different locations in the same situation if you get me

"Navy" N17 TWO
Still on the original dampers from built - that's almost 6 years! lol

I could have coilovers back in my life very soon :)

Iceberg Ph1
Tyre rumble around bends? Does it feel like the wheel is bouncing so to speak? could be your anti roll bar bushes?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Rumbles about halfway through a bend, not bouncing though
All the bushes are done recently too.

Iceberg Ph1
If the bushes have been done, I'd stick with the notion of a damper at fault.. had my rear two go recently (both originals from 2001) span out on a roundabout, luckily was doing about 20mph and wasn't to much to contend with, but goes to show whether rear or fronts are shot then they can cause some bad times!