ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dijon Race Report

Turbos.
So last weekend was our first trip to the beautiful Dijon-Prenois, which was an F1 circuit up until '84. We started with a test day on the Friday, to get to know the circuit. My only indication of what it was like up until then was good ol' YouTube vids.

This was actually race one of the Lotus Cup Europe championship (opposed to Lotus Cup UK). All Lotus Cup series' around the world run to more or less the same regs, but the European series has more competitive cars, as my paddock photos show!

1.jpg

P1080278.jpg

P1080277.jpg

P1080276.jpg

P1080275.jpg

P1080273.jpg

P1080271.jpg

I'd like to think our Elise is still the best looking, of course!

P1080282.jpg

P1080284.jpg

In testing, our times seemed comparable with everyone else, but there were some cocky locals arriving on the day of qualifying, so we knew we couldn't get too excited...

Because of the limited time, my dad and i have to flip a coin for qualifying, and he got the nod. Unfortunately a 211 blew its engine resulting in oil in the in-field. Not ideal, because Dijon has a massive straight; we needed the corners to make up for our deficit in power (and 50kg ballast for having sequential etc.).

Circuit_Dijon-Prenois.png

My dad didn't get a good lap, and we ended up a disappointing 16th out of 36, albeit 2nd in class. The more frustrating element was that we were out qualified by a French Exige with none of the aero we have!

28.jpg

Still, could have been worse...

P1080270.jpg

More coin flipping was needed afterwards, as rather than a shared 1 hour race, we had a shorter 1/2 hour race each. I ended up doing the first race, which was a rolling start.

44.jpg

Rolling starts are a bit of guess work. The leader sometimes guns it, sometimes creeps along. We got a bit bunched up but i managed to get ahead of the French Exige early by getting a good run at him.

26.jpg

I was then surrounded by a load of 2-Elevens, which were frustratingly slow until we got to that massive straight, where they pulled away. It didn't matter though, as the priority was to stay in front of my class rival.

23.jpg

That was easier said than done though! As i chased a Black Exige and Red 2-Eleven, they had a near miss which resulted in me swerving to avoid them. The French Exige duly took the position...

8.jpg

Fortunately, on the next lap, Frenchie got a bit excited and went for a lunge at the hairpin on the Black Exige. I knew he went in narrow, so i took a wider a line and managed to get by them both in one move.

9.jpg

20.jpg

As they squabbled behind me, i was onto the 2-Eleven that had gotten away. Dijon wasn't helping me, as the in-field becomes quite narrow. Although i could get a nose in front before the straight, it was never enough to stop him getting past again.

19.jpg

My hope was to take advantage of lapping slower cars, and it was soon realised when an S1 Elise turned in on him, knocking his rear wheel. I was duly rewarded for eagerly waiting for his car to fall apart, he only bloody held on...

So, it was frustrating to not finish better (i only came 11th), but i got the class win and bonus of fastest lap.

10.jpg

The lessi say about my dad's race, the better.... unfortunately a slower Elise span in front of him, collecting the car in the process. It needs a new front end for the next race, as well suspension parts. Big shame, as my dad was catching Frenchie once more and it looked like it could have been two class wins. Wasn't all bad for the old man though...

18.jpg

I will endeavour to get some videos up soon, some of the onboard footage is pretty cool.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
nice work!

i never saw your report from silverstone?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Nightmare about the damage dude, did it end your day there? looks like theres some very nice cars there too, whats the circuit like?

Turbos.
Silverstone didn't go well Seb! Did one lap in qualifying and the input shaft for the gearbox went in the race, so DNFd. Was majorly fcuked off as we were leading and our main competitor didn't start the race, so we would have had a massive points advantage.

Dijon is an awesome circuit, just wish the straight wasn't as long! We were hitting the limiter in 6th by the end...a massive 135mph lol.

Turbos.
It was worth the journey, yeah. Personally the more tracks i visit the better, its like tourism for me! The weather was awesome, which helped.

My dad is at Magny Cours the weekend after next, but sadly i can't go due to work commitments. But i will be at Spa later in the year, and the Nurburgring.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cracking write up dude, always stuff conspiring against you guys!

Can see where you get your handsome looks from. ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice write up that, shame about the second race, but at least one of you got a run out. (The old man got the girls, so that puts you even, right?)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
What a great few days that must have been and getting a class win.

Also the blond on the left is also full of win...

Turbos.
I would have loved to have filled her with win TBH. The brunette is normally there, but the blonde was new. Hope to see her again...

Lotus Elise
Great report and congrats on the result, Id love to drive Dijon. Steeped in heritage and a superb circuit. Very jealous.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Great write up and stunning photos, always love reading these and Burpspeeds race reports to !