ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

deleting from windows/system32

Ford Fiesta
Norton has detected 2 files that I want to get rid of in system 32. However when I try deleting them it cant due to them either being protected or in use.

These are navshext1.dll
and
srreamci.dll

anyone know how to go baout it?

thanks

Clio 172mk2
are u running windows xp , if so and its on a fat 32 based file structure, you can use a win 98 boot disk and do it manually

e,g

cd windows
cd system32
deltree navshext1.dll

etc

if its ntfs prolly do it , with the windows xp cd , i believe u booot it as if installin xp , then say cancel / edit somet , carnt remember exactly basically it put u in dos

Ford Fiesta
yes windows xp. I dont have a 98 boot disk.
is that the only way to do it then? or if i start up in safe mode will i be able to delete them?

Last edited:
  Clio 172mk2
its possible , depends if windows is using them, if not it will have to be in command prompt / dos duno if u get the option on start up with xp though

Ford Fiesta
still cant delete srreamci.dll in safe mode.
Griff how would I delete it using cmd prompt.

can you do me a step by step guide

Last edited:
  Ford Fiesta
just tried with moveonboot program that deletes selected files when the pc is booting up.
hope this has worked.

Ford Fiesta
do I need to do that Roy? ^ ust done another check and no threats found now.

I would, yes. System restore stores viri and will restore them if you have to use system restore. IMHO disable it, reboot, re scan, re-enable system restore.

Black Clio 182
or you could boot it up into safe mode, usually press F8 on boot up and from there you can delete anything but b warned if its needed it will mess you system up. you could always backup all your docs and stuff and do a rebuild.

Black Clio 182
do a rebuild lol

you tried running a virus scan in safe mode? download and run ad-aware and that should clear it up, just done a search on google for navshext1.dll and it didnt look good. still think the best bet is a rebuild.

Ford Fiesta
Pauldredge said:
do a rebuild lol

you tried running a virus scan in safe mode? download and run ad-aware and that should clear it up, just done a search on google for navshext1.dll and it didnt look good. still think the best bet is a rebuild.

like i said above mate ive used moveonboot program to delete it.

Done another virus and threats scan and nothing is picked up so should be ok.

No way doing a re build for that. lol