ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cv gaiter/boot clip broken HELP

Fiesta Zetec
sigh....

Just to add another problem to my list, it seems that my drivers side cv gaiter clip has come loose or broken and grease has gone all over the inside of the wheel and near the joint, the gaiter doesnt seem to be split and on further inspection we found the clip could be moved by hand.

Is it poss to get a new clip or do I need the whole gaiter and clip

Bit worried about driving it with it like it so please help??

Fiesta Zetec
Jubilee clip/ hose clip does just a good a job tbh

as a fair bit of grease has come out is it best to remove wheel and give it all a good clean up and pack with grease too??

What type of grease will I need? and what size jubilee clip would work??

Thanks

Phase 2 172 Cup
for the sake of it id buy the kit from renault

you get a new boot, metal surclip and a sachet of proper grease

Fiesta Zetec
for the sake of it id buy the kit from renault

you get a new boot, metal surclip and a sachet of proper grease

Just cable tied it for now, the cv boot kit is about £7.50 from gsf so going to get that I reckon.

From reading other posts people seem to say that a nice strong jubilee clip will be better than the clip supplied

The clip was the only thing that failed, but if its not too hard I could change the boot aswell, is it hard to renew the boot itself??

Recaro'd 182
moly grease from halfords and a jubilee clip much better than renault will never come off! did both mine.

megane 225
common problem this is, renault said to me they use a special machine to tighten the clip (which apparently justified the stupid price they charge)
just got a kit from GSF and done it myself, not too a difficult a job to be fair

Fiesta Zetec
common problem this is, renault said to me they use a special machine to tighten the clip (which apparently justified the stupid price they charge)
just got a kit from GSF and done it myself, not too a difficult a job to be fair

is it easy to move the boot back and fill it with the grease??

Skoda Fabia vRS
use a jubilee clip as above, dont use a cable tie, it usually doesnt last

if you need grease, its the grey stuff, moly grease

Clio Sport 172
search on of my posts mate it happend to me. i just got a big tub of grease from halfords. and a 110 jubile clip think it was that big anyway. only place i could find that sold them that big was motor factors.

i just put as much grease as i could in there it is a tight squeese lol

Fiesta Zetec
cheers mate, ill have a look, was going to get the stuff from halfords but prob going to try the kit from gsf for the sake of 7 quid, you get the clip and the grease

Fiesta Zetec
Just phoned GSF and he cannot confirm which one of these two is the one for my car.

Any ideas?? The car is a 1995 1.4 RT

1) R45014CV BOOT KIT-OUTER CLIO 1.2 /1.4 76MM 6.90 Add

2) R45024CV BOOT KIT-OUTER CLIO 1.1/1.4/1.8 THERMOPLASTIC OUTER 7.50 Add

Skoda Fabia vRS
if your CV boot is fine, dont buy the kit, the clip it will come with will be gash, or it will be a cable tie

if the boot is ok get some grease and a large jubilee

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Knowsit . Thats all i did when mine snapped on my 172 , repack with grease and a big jubilee clip , job done . The original Renault clips are pretty weak and snap very easily .

I cable tied over the clips on my new 182 as soon as i got it home just to be on the safe side ;)

Fiesta Zetec
^^^ Knowsit . Thats all i did when mine snapped on my 172 , repack with grease and a big jubilee clip , job done . The original Renault clips are pretty weak and snap very easily .

I cable tied over the clips on my new 182 as soon as i got it home just to be on the safe side ;)

ok cool, its just a case of getting the right jubilee clip now with the grease, I'll take the old clip with me on the hunt for a jubilee

clio 182
just had this problem :S deep joy, anybody recommend any good products to get all the feckin grease off my wheels??

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
just had this problem :S deep joy, anybody recommend any good products to get all the feckin grease off my wheels??
nice bump lol!

i just use paper towels, some flash detergent and lots of elbow greece!

the CV boot greece cleans metal really well aswell. when mine leaked, after cleaning it off everything looked brand new

clio 182
lol well i couldnt be bothered writing the whole story over again and figured someone would have had the same prob before... lol

my brother gave me some wheel cleaning stuff that took everything else off and still left the grease stuck on. was not impressed in the slightest, will try the flash approach :S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
keep at it! if you make a thread in the detailing section you will get some good advice of proper products to get it off easily! flash and a jet wash is cheeper though imo :)