ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of problems with pictures - Technical knowledge wanted please

Hi All,

Couple of problems with the bargain bus!

1. I noticed the car was "using" some oil and think I have a slight oil leak... Following on from these 2 threads and based around the location I am hoping it is just the bolts, but could do with some diagnosis and recommendation on a fix if possible:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?517961-Oil-leak-around-Plenum...&highlight=Oil+leak

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?503276-oil-leak-pics&highlight=Leaking+oil

6169756207_522e507934_z.png

m_oil_03 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

6169756465_e8251ce2a4_z.png

m_oil_04 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

2. I regreased and clipped the offside CV joint lastnight, but I still have a knocking noise on full lock. wondering if I didnt grease enough or it is something else. I.E. Knackered driveshafts or topmounts.

Are the top mounts supposed to sit like this....

6170291164_6ab145caf0_z.png

m_oil_02 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

6169755763_6c13c0a4f9_z.png

m_oil_01 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Any help greatly received.

Thanks
Sam

Evo 5 RS
take the plenum off and use a bit of loctite (5699) on the bolts, you'll have to look up the torque settings or someone else will tell you, can't remember them think it's 10 or 12nm
If it's around mainly where the first picture is taken it could be the VVT solenoid. The rubber seals go

Top mounts yes, oil, common problem, long job to fix. If it's not too bad, leave it.

Thanks mate! Will keep on top of oil top-up, might take advantage of the offer 519 have on at to stock up.

take the plenum off and use a bit of loctite (5699) on the bolts, you'll have to look up the torque settings or someone else will tell you, can't remember them think it's 10 or 12nm
If it's around mainly where the first picture is taken it could be the VVT solenoid. The rubber seals go

Hoping just the bolts and thanks for the input. If I go ahead and tackle it, is the plenum just a case of undoing all the visible bolts and throttle body and lifting off?

Oh and apparently...
you'll see oil pooled round the bolts, whip each one out (one at a time! NOT all at once) silicone the head and mop up the oil and torque it back in (14nm)

^The clio bible recommend 14 Nm lol.

Cheers Danny. You might be getting an oil order lol. I think I have lost quite a bit over 2000 miles since it was serviced.

:bump:for this one.... Sorry people!! I have spent most of the evening searching "knocking full lock" and the conclusion I have come to is CV joint or top mounts.

I am still getting a loud knock/grinding noise when reversing on full lock. It is a repeated knocking, not just a one off knock and it only occurs when I am moving. The only way to describe it is that it sounds like when you turn the top mount nut and you hear the spring turning in its housing. Easiest situation to illustrate the noise is when "bay parking".

RE: the top mounts I will put the common Fred washer fix in as soon as I get a pair just to be on the safe side. However I strongly suspect this is CV joint related.

If the CV joint is causing this knocking will I most definitely be requiring a new driveshaft? Is it possible that I did not re-grease the Cv joint enough (I put a good handful of grease in there, probably about 200ml out of a 500ml tub and cliped with a jubilee?

Is it safe to drive and is it likely to spit a driveshaft out on me as I trundle along the M4 tomorrow evening?

Any light the wonderful people of CS can shed on the issue would as always, be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Sam

Mk5 golf gti
You should of got a tube of cv grease with the kit if you got a new one.

Sounds like that will be what the noise is.

Thanks for the offer Rob, unfortunately driving to Glos this evening hence the panic from me lol! Hopefully it won't fall apart then, I'll just try to resist the temptation to corner hard!

Dunn... Thanks for the reply! Just purchased a big tub of lith moly CV grease!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't worry Sam, if it's only started to make the noise recently then you're fine. When it starts doing it every rotation of the wheel when driving normally, it's bad.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Clunking is the driveshaft if its on full lock only. It the Cv joint. Under rubber you have 3 bearings they they spin on pencil led size rollers. Well this was the problem with my valver. Cheaper to buy whole shaft rather than repair. Well back then anyway. hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It survived the weekend round trip of 350 odd miles. Will look into it and get it sorted asap!

The most annoying thing is that myself and Rob reclipped the CV boot when we changed my lower balljoint. Then a local MOT place claimed it needed the clip changing for it to pass an MOT. This, I was fine with, £2.50 no harm done.... But at least change it right so it doesn't fall off the following week!!