ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Coding

Burbler
How much would a bodyshop typically charge to prime and paint my side bump strips, front and rear bumper inserts, door handles and standard splitter on mk2 ph2 1.2 if they were all supplied sanded?

Also I have almost a litre of paint mixed in Halfrauds which I have used to do the dash strips myself and is a really good match, whats left in the tin hasn't got thinners in it, is it likely a bodyshop would use this (i'm so tight :rolleyes: ) ?

Just a rough guide from anyone would be appreciated just so I know if its worth taking it further?

Cheers,

Rich

Last edited:
  A number of clios
best to ask clio g-b he's just had his done i couldnt tell you mate cos i got them done realy cheap as my mate did it me as a favor cost me £165 to have both bumpers done side strips and all 4 wheels painted :D

Burbler
^ is that taking into account that they would be ready prepped (besides primed) and anyone know about if they would use my paint?

Golf GTI 1.8T
most of the labour costs will be taking the bits off, preparing and re fitting. so the more you can do of that the better I'd say.

I've managed to get spares of fog surrounds and door handles off here and already have the boot lock so when it comes to having mine done can give them to them, and just swap em over myself :)

Chocolate Bar™
if the paint is proper paint, and not cellulose paint they could use it, however they might still need a bit more and have to order it in 1l quantities according to my bodyshop. suppose it does vary.

taking them sanded wont make much difference, as all the dimples would normally be 2 pack primed, which eliminates the need to sand them.

i was quoted for bumpstrips, front and rear bumper inserts and spoiler 300. however this does depend entirely on bodyshop / workloads / reputation etc.etc

306 GTI-6
I picked my car up from the bodyshop yesterday after having the arches done and I asked him about colour coding and he said the he wouldn't do it because he said that he's tried every plastic primer etc and 6months down the line they start to flake, he said the he would only do it if I could get some bumpers that have been factory primed!

Burbler
Middo said:
if the paint is proper paint, and not cellulose paint they could use it, however they might still need a bit more and have to order it in 1l quantities according to my bodyshop. suppose it does vary.

taking them sanded wont make much difference, as all the dimples would normally be 2 pack primed, which eliminates the need to sand them.

i was quoted for bumpstrips, front and rear bumper inserts and spoiler 300. however this does depend entirely on bodyshop / workloads / reputation etc.etc

The paint is however Halfords supply it when you have a tin mixed up, so theres no thinners in there at the mo? thought it only took like 2 - 21/2 ltr to do a car :S

Thanks anyway to all!

clio 16v
check out the good bodyshop list, and if your close to one, go and get a quote, each bodyshop will vary what they charge. but with bodywork you def. get what you pay for.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
do it your self its easy! surface clean them, grey plastic primer x 2 or 3 then your colour paint x 3 and clear laquer. The little bobbles in the plastic dont affect the finish look if you spray them right. The plastic primer OR plastic filler primer is thick enough to hide most of it. I did mine myself and the just look like the rest of the body. You can't tell they are the old plastic ones!!

Burbler
i'v done the bumpstrips & drivers door handle and they look good, I just don't have the time or clean space to do it anymore, I used an airbrush to do them so they came out really nice considering I did them outside!

I could probably get away with just having the bumper inserts and passenger handle done, I just thought it would be better to get a proffesional, matching finish on all the plastics

Thanks for all answers and advice!