ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap Media Centre for HDTV

Fiesta ST
Thinking about building a small PC for my sammy TV.

Want it to view digital broadcasts - pause live TV, Record TV shows, access music and photo's as well as viewing video files.

#
Intel D865GSA Motherboard i865G LGA775 P4/Celeron 5.1 Audio micro ATX
£29.10

#
In Win BT553 Black micro ATX desktop/tower case 240W PSU +audio
£27.95
#
Sony 16x DVD ROM Black OEM
£11.25
#
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 MediaCenter TV and FM Tuner with Hardware MPEG2 encoder Composite & S-video capture certified for MCE Single oem
£33.60
#
OCZ Value Pro 512Mb DDR2 PC5400 memory 667Mhz +Copper Heatspreader
£14.00
#
Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8GHz 800FSB LGA775 2MB cache Retail inc.Fan (3yr Manufacturers Warranty)
£65.40

Total: £213.03

I have a old 160gig HD lying about i could use aswell.

I'm either gonna install MCE on it (or vista) or go linux route with Media centre on it for free.

thoughts?

(source microdirect.co.uk)

172 cup'd extreme
You really should try and factor in a decent hardware based tv decoder such as the Hauppauge nova-t 500 (£55) or the Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT (£75) they offer much better recording and surfing speed and dont use too much cpu power - the hvr 150 is not a freeview card only analogue.
You are also better off getting a standalone graphics card too one that has a DVI slot so you can connect it straight to HDMI

Better than yours. C*nt.
That and a bit more memory... 512Mb will never suffice for what is essentially a video manipulation machine... If you can stretch, you want 2gb, but 1gb is a minimum. If you're considering Vista then you will certainly need 2gb. I dread to think what my laptop would be like trying to run Media Center on Vista...