ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

changing tyre size

tiTTy & SV650
I was at Costco earlier pricing some tyres up, standard tyres are 185 55 15. Costco have Michelin Pilot Exalto's in this size for bout £70inc vat and fitting, but I noticed they have 195 50 15's too but at £45 inc vat and fitting, both V rated.

So obviously I'm tempted to fit the wider lower profile tyres, other than the speedo being affected slightly anything to stop me doing it?

Nothing to stop you as long as you replace all 4. the difference between the 2 is fractional and wont effect your speedo (if anything it will be more accurate)

Ride feel will change but thats down to personal preference.

106 GTi
Will feel so much better on 185's !

I ended up back on them on mine, felt so much more alive. 195's save so much cash though. Most do it. I ran the 195's exclusively on the 309 GTi when I was a stingy student.

TBH i prefer the 195's more positive and more feedback. like i said its personal opinion, you aint going to euin anthing so can always go back next time.

tiTTy & SV650
cheers for replies, have just bought a flat so it's tempting to go for cheaper option lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
195s are wider so more grip etc etc.

I was under the impressive Renault used 185/55 because they're rarer, and thus sell for more than the 195s...

I've been using 195s on my Clio for the last few sets.

195s are wider so more grip etc etc.

I was under the impressive Renault used 185/55 because they're rarer, and thus sell for more than the 195s...

I've been using 195s on my Clio for the last few sets.

If it was for price they would have used 195's as they are cheaper (for original production) and they can put a larger mark up when selling during service.

AFAIK its to do with suspension geometry and weight of vehicle.

185/55/15 is what the car was suspension wise setup for plus wider tyres cacth on the rear ach liners so it wasn't an option. Most people cannot tell the chnage and for the cost saving I'd use 195/50/15.

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
The diff between 185 55 15 and 195 50 15's is only a 0.968% calibration factor so very little change on speedo.

Would I be able to put 185/50/14 on a wheel currently running 175/60/14? I know it'll be a harsher ride.

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Because i'm running on slicks just about and wanted something fatter and lower!
what is a safe limit on width? but dont wanna look daft.