ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT C

corsa D 1.4 design
hi all im new to this site and im looking into buying a fast car now i can get insurance for them :race:
i been looking a clio's for a while but only the 1.6. been reading up on to get a 172/182 cup and decided the 172 cup.
ive seen a cat C clio 172 cup on autotrader and emailed the dealer and they told me its the front bonnet and side wing repaired. is this worth a pop and to gamble and buy or should i get a non cat c clio? the price of the clio is £1.385 with 80k on the clock and a 02 model ( 51 plate) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201145427858533/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/clio/make/renault/postcode/so162nj/page/1/radius/1501/keywords/172_cup?logcode=p

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd think about a cat d but I dont think I'd buy a cat c. I've just had a falling tree turn my car in to a cat c while driving at 60mph I don't think I'd fancy driving that around anymore or let anyone put it back on the road plus to make it safe
would cost way to much. So if you do buy one I'd hope theyve done a good job not missed things!

But I'd just save a bit more and buy a good one!

Clio 182 Black Gold
I got a cat D so i could afford a clio 182. its been absolutely fine, it was front door damaged and repaired. I think Cat C is a bit too risky!

Rusty Cup
The guy sounds like he's on crack to me "Ideal car for New Drivers, Very Economical on Fuel, Cheap on insurance and road TAX" i would personally only buy this if i was going to break it for parts. Cat C 2002 Clio that needs the belts done this year is worth next to nothing infact i would pay to get shot of it!!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
that black car is a pile of total shoite- I wouldnt offer a lady godiva for that - thats worth about £700 in parts & nowt more-

Its a cat C 172- so for a start if it was just the bonnet & bumper it wouldnt be a write off- light damage is CAT D- so a cat C is more Serious-

Plus look at the state of it, Ive seen crashed cars look neater than that- the seat looks like a dogs had a go at it, its missing the wheel caps, no ariel, the front grill is either wrong or is just made out of mildew, the headlights are Milkier than Beyonces t*ts,no RS badges on the rear, the steering wheel is falling apart, needs new number plates ..

What a pile of W*NK

Spend your hard earned money elsewhere

S

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Cat C & D write off's don't mean jack s**t on these cars nowadays, all the ratings represent is that the cost of repair (ie the quote obtained to fix it) crosses a certain percentage of the book value of the car, and since the book prices of them are so low due to their age an insurance company will write off 1 of these cars as a cat C or D for just a scratch down the side of the car.
All that matters is that the car is mechanically sound, the repairs have been done properly and that it's not a ringer which the VIC check (if applicable) will cover ;)

have you actually seen the state of that car it looks rought as sh1t , plenty of straight ones around for that money , it has a hole in the seat , and just by looking at the photo's you can tell it is hanging

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Its a cat C 172- so for a start if it was just the bonnet & bumper it wouldnt be a write off- light damage is CAT D- so a cat C is more Serious-

I had a dented rear quarter panel on my valver in 2008 & the insurance assessor said it's a Cat C write off as the repair cost exceeded a certain percentage of the book price of the car

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
remind me never to buy a car off you lol^^^^ look at the colour of the bonnet & where it lines up- probably off a non sport

S

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
hum- well whatever the case its a POS

S

Admittedly I posted before looking at the advert :eek: lol!

But to the OP don't be put off by cat C & D write offs straight away, the important thing to think of is when the write off occurred within the cars life, if it happened early on in it's life be wary as the threshold in ££'s for it to be any kind of write off will be much higher & a good indication that it's been in a big shunt, but if it happened in the later years of it's life it'll take a much smaller amount of damage in ££'s for it to be written off so most likely not a big accident if you can see where I'm coming from