ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canister purge valve

Clio 182
Went and bought my clio 182, checked over it and had a test drive. its very clean and has just turned 33k miles. anyway all was fine until i left the garage. the engine management light came on so i drove back. they put it under the diagnostics and found the canister purge valve was causing this. so they put it on the ramps and stuff, took it out and cleaned it. they said this had a little water in it causing the light to come on. they then put this back in and the light never came on.

so on my way back home the light never came on and this was a 50ish mile trip, but when i got to my first set of traffic lights i was stationary for a coupe of minutes and then boom, on comes the engine light again.

what could be wrong with this? the guy is happy to sort something out here so a new part etc will be paid by him.

cheers

tiTTy & SV650
Evaporative emissions canisters are used to collect unburnt fuel and its drawn into the inlet under vacuum to be burnt. The purge valves are there to draw the fuel through i.e. open the vacuum when triggered.

IF they're the same as on motorcycles in California that is. I did a bit of work on them recently speaking to the California Air Resource Board for an exemption from federal tampering laws!

PH1 172 Sport
If you remove the canister and the purge valve the light doesn't come on so they are talking rubbish.

Mines been removed from the car for 2 years and although the ECU reports a fault it does not display it on the dash.

It has to be something else causing the fault.