ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can i use my Sky viewing card in another box in another country?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
This is one queston Google cant help me with.... So over to the powers of Clio sport.

I know the villa im staying in has a sky box but apparently doesnt have all of the channels.

When i go away if i take my viewing card will this work and give me all of the channels?

Its for the world cup football and nothing else before you start? And maybe BB opening night lol

Thanks

Ferrari F430 Spider, 182
I was abroad and someone I got chatting to said they always bring their Sky card with them and it works. (Yes I'm full of interesting conversation lol)

I was completely shocked as never heard of that before. In fact it had never even crossed my mind.

So, I'm told it can work but never done it myself

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Most ex pats that live in Spain have sky. They just use a friends UK address to set up the account.

172 Cup
The world cup is on BBC1 and ITV. These channels don't require any card in the box at all. If you don't believe me take your card out of the box and see for yourself.

BB is on channel 4 which does require a Sky card in the box and yes your card will work abroad.

Subscription channels require an active Sky card paired to an individual box and this is where complications "can" occur abroad although there's methods around this.

Mini Cooper S sport
Well blimey, that's news to me.

Don't think I'd bother though, guarantee I'd leave the card in the box and fly home.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
The world cup is on BBC1 and ITV. These channels don't require any card in the box at all. If you don't believe me take your card out of the box and see for yourself.

BB is on channel 4 which does require a Sky card in the box and yes your card will work abroad.

Subscription channels require an active Sky card paired to an individual box and this is where complications "can" occur abroad although there's methods around this.

Thanks all for the info. Im going to Portugal on Friday,

I know this is way over the top but if i took the box and card would ALL channels work?

172 Cup
Thanks all for the info. Im going to Portugal on Friday,

I know this is way over the top but if i took the box and card would ALL channels work?

Not necessarily. I'm no expert but from personal experience of taking a box and card out to southern Spain we had to get some frequencies changed due to the weaker signal. Plus some boxes seem to work better than others when the signal is so weak.

0_astra_2D_north_L.jpg

Note - Take that image with a pinch of salt. The footprint is slightly more generous than that but as it's a UK TV provider they're very guarded about where people can in reality receive their channels.

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/skytv_reception_europe.htm

If you scroll down it gives you info on Spain and Portugal.

Last edited:
yeah can get sky in most countries around europe. My dad lives in russia and he can get it (with a massive dish).

unfortunately may have trouble coz they lock your viewing card to your sky box.......so if u put your sky card into another box it probably won't work (as that box will be locked to a certain viewing card)

Mini Cooper S sport
I've found more answers here from a Google search which threw up this:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112798
I can tell you from first hand experience that the only way to receive sky abroad is to take the sky box and card which you have installed at the UK address you are using.The box and card match, if you take one without the other it will not work and you can't phone sky because if you tell them you are using the card abroad they will make it void.
Believe it or not it is illegal to receive sky abroad.The fact that every English person is doing so shows how crazy this whole subject is.
Apparently.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can

My mate Stu does it :p Took a spare box and card with him when he moved to the Netherlands (though he's now moved back)

Was odd sat on his sofa in a foreign-ish country watching the cricket with English commentators :p

172 Cup
I've found more answers here from a Google search which threw up this:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112798
Apparently.

That's all to do with "pairing" the card to the individual box which I mentioned above. The vast majority of channels don't require this.

For example take your card round to a mates, stick it in their box, and see how many channels you can watch.

Pairing the card is only necessary for subscription based channels and can be done abroad with some ingenuity as I know from personal experience.

Mini Cooper S sport
Oh OK. To be honest, the World Cup will be shown everywhere anyway, you might just as well go and watch it in a bar!

That's what we're going to do, we'll be in Crete for one of the England matches.

There's also no way I'd take my whole sky box on holiday to watch Big f**king Brother, that's VERY sad....! In any case, it's nice to have a break from TV for a week.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
yes

I know because I've done it, twice and will be doing so again in September ;)

my mate has a villa in southern spain about 40 mins for Malaga, there is a UK Sky box in the villa with a 'free to view' card in, but if you take your own card you get whatever channels you subscribe to at home

most channels worked, but the odd one had a crap signal so was ropey and sometimes didn't work, but that's down to reception & weather

box office won't work though, neither will interactive stuff, but everything else should

Clio 182 cup'd
I don't understand this pairing thing. When I lived with a few mates we had a multiroom card from another address and it worked fine.

Sky only noticed this because the sky box was unplugged from the phone line, but that took them 3 months to spot.