ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT router died, help setting up my netgear router

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Right my BT router finally died, i phoned bt and they are sending out a new one (third time lucky I hope).

i have plugged in my netgear dg834pn router and decided to try and get that working.

I have got all of the required setting from BT and my internet connection is working perfectly for my desktop (hardwired) computer, but my laptop (wireless) will connect to the router and the network but i am unable to view a webpage.

Windows error checker throws this error:

The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected

After a bit of googling i have tried resetting IE settings etc. from this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196/en-gb

still no luck.

What do you suggest i could do to fix the connection issues.

I am passed my Cisco CCNA 1 and 2 so don’t worry about using technical jargon etc. in your reply.

Thanks

Simon

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Can you use your wireless from other devices, such as your iPhone?

what an idiot i am, i should have checked that first, but yes my HTC desire can connect to the internet via wi-fi. must be a config error on my laptop

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
What happens if you do a tracert to google on the laptop?

Does it even get to the router?

tracert gets to google, it takes a slightly different route compared to my desktop but that shouldn't be a problem

can you ping it? Could just be TCP settings. Is you computer allocated IP or on static?

yep i can ping it, i am using the allocated ip address from my router using DHCP. laptop is using 192.168.0.4, desktop is 192.168.0.3 and router is 192.168.0.1. i think it must be a browser config error.

Golf GTD Mk7
sounds like it yeah. I can't see why it would be causing issues though as you won't have changed any settings, and a router is a router. As long as the wireless card can see it then it should connect. Password correct ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Dont know what i did but it is all working perfectly, thanks everyone! :D