ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brembo Max Grooved vs Brembo HC

Track 172 Cup
Is there much difference bar the price? £45 for the plain HC and £99 for the max grooved and at the price for the plain non grooved disc's I could have a spare set of them sat in the van as a back up on track days (unlikely to be needed but you never know), These would be going on my track car not really used much on the road mainly track. I'm also thinking of putting a cheap set of OEM pads in too save my CL6 and to stop the squealing when i do use on the road in between track days. I'm currently running just the normal Brembo HC and have no issues so leaning towards them again but if they Grooves help/improve things in anyway.

Or are there any alternatives to look at bar going for say a Wilwood/Alcon kit etc I do think the standard are up to the job so far. My CL6 are almost brand new (done 2 track days) so wouldn't wanna have to bin them if i went for one of the kits mentioned would rather wait until I'm due new pads and put the £150 towards an upgraded kit then.

Stu

Renault Clio 172
If the cl6 and brembo hc's are fine now i wouldnt be looking into spending more money if you dont need to, Ive used max discs before on another car and all they seemed to do was shorten the life of the pads, stick with what you know works...
Rc8 would be harder to modulate in wet conditions, i think the rc6 is a good pad for just trackdays and I would be changing them to OE spec or ds2500's for the road as its just a waste

Teg DC5 & Ph2 172
HC discs and RC5+ pads ;).
I ordered MAX discs and RC5+ pads from Kam racing and they phoned me up and said theres no real need to buying the Max discs with the pad I went for, something to do with the material used.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
My RC5 pads crumbled on me and I have had a few other people say the same.

I have Hc discs and RC6 pads, they make a lot of noise but perfect for what I use

Track 172 Cup
Yeah think I'll just stick with the normal HC disc's and my RC6 pads. Think my discs have had something stick in them and have a little groove round one of them so might replace them.

@George@RTR_Parts best price on a set of HC disc's and cheap oem pads if you can please. Thanks.

Last edited:

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
My clio came with max discs when I got it and they were awful. horrible noise from the grooves and weird pedal feel. That was with terrible yellowstuff pads though!
Changed for hc's and rc5+ and they were brilliant. No fade ever even with 3 back to back laps of the ring

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Yeah think I'll just stick with the normal HC disc's
@George@RTR_Parts best price on a set of HC disc's and cheap oem pads if you can please. Thanks.

Will PM you now mate. Ta! Will be Brembo HC discs and Brembo oe pads , I don't do cheap/rubbish :wink:

I had exactly the same with my fronts, deep groove, just ordered some HCs again from George

These will be with you soon Mark, were sent yesterday. Cheers

We should do a group buy lol. And get some RTR stickers for our track cars because racers need sponsor decals haha.

Waiting to hear back for quotes for stickers been made up. I will be getting some very soon and will put a thread up when they are available and put a post in the sticker thread :up:

Track 172 Cup
Went for some Brembo HC and the OEM spec Brembo pads saves my RC6 for the track and hopefully won't have any sqeaul when I'm stopping lol. Only thing I did when putting pads on was pop those butterfly things off the back of the pad (seen this done a few times not sure why but was in sheep mode and followed what I have seen done lol)

The RC6 looked good too no crumbling round the edges or pads coming away from the backing. Looked about half worn though after I think 3 days, might be more on them as I can't remember what was on them when new thickness wise. Although I am debating on trying the DS3000 or DS1.11 next for a change.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@StuOwen86 after my Rc6 problem at Oulton I suggest some lovely road pads....;) think I am going with the DS1.11 all round this time and have a clean up of discs.

PH2 172
Went for some Brembo HC and the OEM spec Brembo pads saves my RC6 for the track and hopefully won't have any sqeaul when I'm stopping lol.
Although I am debating on trying the DS3000 or DS1.11 next for a change.
Take your new OE Brembo pads on track.You might have to cook them once & come in for 10 minutes to let them cool,but after that,you might question spending up to 10 times the price on exotic pads don`t always work well with the Brembo discs.

I have just standard brembos and pads on my 172 and no problems on track thus far that said it was a wet day so maybe that kept them cool.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The HC's with Brembo pads is a good setup for a quick daily, but on track I destroyed the pads on my first lap, I braked hard for a chicane and two huge clouds of black dust came out the wheels and the peddle went down and down and down until it was almost on the floor, they're good pads just not track day good imo.

How the hell did you manage that lol

I must have done 4-5 laps of snetterton at a time with no issues. Baring in mind the braking zones are from quite high speeds at times.

Again could be due to it being wet and keeping brakes cool.

PH2 172
The HC's with Brembo pads is a good setup for a quick daily, but on track I destroyed the pads on my first lap, I braked hard for a chicane and two huge clouds of black dust came out the wheels and the peddle went down and down and down until it was almost on the floor, they're good pads just not track day good imo.
Please note I did say you have to cook/cure them once as was always the way with organic pads.
Also sounds like you have more water than brake fluid in your system.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I use HC's with pagid blues and they're great so far, good cold bit which is what I was after and seem good on track for 20mins sessions at a time. I've got to be careful not to lock them up with no ABS. Still need to do a circuit with more high speed braking off the straights though to test them out properly, but so far so good. Squeal when hot on the road, but don't really care about that as not a daily driver.