ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake servo corroded (MOT)

Clio
MOT on 2004 Clio advisory brake servo corroded. Is this likely to cause problems soon? Is it an easy or difficult job to change it? Or is it likely I can easily access to rust kill and paint without removing much?

Could just be someone has spilled brake fluid on it which has taken the paint off and mad it rust, so yeah your fix could work. Post up a picture of it.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've been doing some rust treatment on my 172. I'll add this to the areas to i need to go and check...

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've not tried this yet, but I'd try getting a hand to it either from the wheel arch or from underneath.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm only half joking. If you take the drivers side wheel off and liner you can get a good look at it, enough to give it a bit of a clean up:

1647599938265.png

The half not joking:

1647600100945.png

Clio
Do many of them fail due to rust damage or is it mostly just cosmetic, cause I don't really want to bother if it's thick enough metal to last.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Rust can go from unsightly to catastrophic suprisingly quickly and at usually at an inconvenient time, so for the sake of 45 minutes I'd give it a clean and a brush and slap some hydrate 80 on it.

Clio
Its quite greasy around the reservoir - looks like someone spilt a bit when refilling. I can't see the servo properly from the engine bay, will look sometime when I have the wheel off. Definitely can't access it from the engine bay

Clio
If I use spray gunk engine foam degreaser around it with a toothbrush to remove the fluid, and then use a spray bottle of warm water to wash it off, it's ok isn't it? There's no electrics round there?

Clio
Had a look yesterday and quite a bit of rust on the bottom of it. Will def rust treat it this weekend. Can access half of it easily by taking one clip off the liner and bending the liner back. The inside half I'll have to get at from underneath. Glad the MOT highlighted this as it def needs treated. MOT also highlighted slight rust on the shocks which I'll also treat, but nothing like as bad as the rust on the brake servo.

If the servo ever needs replaced can it be replaced from the side and underneath without taking the engine out. Is £250 a rough garage price for getting it done or would it be more?

Clio
Looked worse than it was, surface rust, looked like from fluid spilling when filling. Not easy to access but managed with a small wire brush, coat of kurust and a coat of black hammerite. Should last longer than the rest of the car now.