ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake dust- just cant get off

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The track car generates huge amounts of brake dust ( PF PADS )

& now its superglued itself to the wheels-
Whats the best agitator & product for removing it all-

I tried AG wheel cleaner it didn't touch the sides to be honest :(

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
Auto Glym non acid wheel cleaner?

Or even a bit of brake cleaner on a rag?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Iron X.

Clean the wheels with a decent wheel cleaner and then give the wheels a couple of hits with Iron X.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Cheers
I will have a crack- Its caked on proper.

Do Halfords sell Iron X?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Try any of the iron/fallout removers.

There is a wonder wheels version available from some of the supermarkets, look for JD's thread on it

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I used this on mine.

It ate the drive but got the s**t off the wheels.

DA198CDF-CC8B-47D3-AC4A-B3DCDB54F603-571-0000002BD990373F_zpsce848c31.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Just be careful using that, any marks in the lacquer or paint and I'm sure it'll soon start to eat through it if it isn't already dulling the paint

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Must buy some IronX myself as washing the wheels after every drive is getting old now

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That Ixell stuff can be more than IronX though if you buy it over the counter from a Dealership. I use a lot of the dealer fluids myself and they're good but you need to buy in either huge volumes or when they're on "special"

Lionel Richie
yup Ixtar wheel cleaner from the dealer is good, but NOTHING and i mean NOTHING will touch PF dust, you can spend as much as you like on monkey spunk wheel cleaner X that the detailing queens will suggest

the ONLY thing that will shift it is Fairy Power Spray, spray on, leave for 1 hour, jet wash - done

the dust will stick to the doors and rear 1/4's but it comes off with wonder wheels (no i'm not joking, wonder wheels on the car's paintwork)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Blast and repaint after use with those things eh Fred... bodywork and wheels!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Driven not detailed hey?

Seems a lot of race teams use quartz coatings so they don't need to use industrial acid based wheel cleaners to remove brake dust

Maybe it should be changed to 'detailed ready to race'

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
LOL-

Its only because the wheels are Orange- they look sheite dirty & great clean.

Thanks for the comments.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I ran PF pads on my m3 and as much as they were good pads the brake dust was a joke.

i was in the same boat as u, and even with iron x it didn't lift everything. I wouldn't touch PF pads again, just not worth it IMO

Lotus Elise
We run PF in both our Cayman race cars, wash the car at the end of the day and you'll have no issues.

Anyone who puts PFs in a road car is asking for trouble.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
We run PF in both our Cayman race cars, wash the car at the end of the day and you'll have no issues.

Anyone who puts PFs in a road car is asking for trouble.

It's a very popular choice for the e46 m3 boys. Don't know why you'd say it's asking for trouble. I thought the pads were good but not track worthy. I also clean my cars a ridiculous amount of times..and was still disappointed

Lotus Elise
It's a very popular choice for the e46 m3 boys. Don't know why you'd say it's asking for trouble. I thought the pads were good but not track worthy. I also clean my cars a ridiculous amount of times..and was still disappointed

If you're having issues with PFs and stopping the issue isn't the pads. I say it as they are a competition pad and in competition we don't give a toss about marked wheels :)

Range Rover Sport
PF pads not track worthy? come again?

Maybe for a smaller car they are pretty good but there ARE much better pads out there than the PF's.

I had PF 2 piece discs and PF pads on my previous Evo VI, swapped them for Carbotech XP8/10 in the end. For the Evo the PF are a good road pad but far from great for the track.

As previously said for the E46 M3 they seem a good road option but I wouldn't fit them to mine for the track.

Regarding the thread, IronX or I find extremely neat Bilberry cleans ever the most stubborn of brake dust. I'd also recommend getting a good wheel sealant to prevent brake dust baking on as bad.

Range Rover Sport
.11 is what I swapped out on the Evo.

I believe the .01 is what's used for the E46 M3 as a common upgrade from OEM.

Going slightly off topic, it may be down to what's OEM and what your used to.

E.G

Evo OEM Brembo but alot of people upgrade to AP / Alcon for track.
BMW OEM M Sport but alot upgrade to BMW Performance/Brembo.

So I'm guessing some caliper/brake work better on some cars than others? Wear rates? Weight of car? Transmission?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It was the PF z rated pads which were sold to me as a fast road pad with little dust. Thought they were good along with the 2 piece floating discs. Really wasn't over enamoured with them to be honest and I'm not a hard bracker either

Fiesta ST2 MP215
The Purple wonderwheels did magic for me, got the brake cakes off every car i've had, used a whole bottle of it when I bought the clio and got it off, it must of never been cleaned properly in it's life prior to me.