ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bottom end advice needed

GSXR + KDX220
Ok, finally stripped the engine down and removed the pistons to check what was causing the huge knocking a couple of months back.

Turns out No.3 has literally no "little end" left around the gudgeon pin :eek: Most of it is sat in the sump in a million bits.

Apart from this, all the shells on the big ends look fine, no scoring, shiney-ness etc and are smooth and of even finish. Crank journals all look perfect too, also with no scoring or marking.

So my question is this, is it worth replacing the rod/piston alone and putting some new big end shells in and putting it back together? Or just getting hold of another bottom end and taking a gamble with putting that straight in?

LY 182
if it were me,, i'd have a good measure up,, and refit with another rod and gudgeon pin

you will need to make sure all the oil ways in the block are clear and that the pump is not scored from the swarf

you will have purists tell you the rods are all matched to eachother in weight but it will be fine done it a few times

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The thing you must ask yourself is "why" did this happen make sure you sort the problem out before spend any more time and money.

ValverInBits
Most BE failures are a waste of time to fix. I'd fix this one though. New rod, pin. Make damn sure theres no swarf in there.

GSXR + KDX220
All advice taken on board, thanks guys!

Regarding putting another bottom end in, I assume you dont mean a "new" one? Just another one from another car?
If so, is it worth changing the big end shells out of course, or not bother?

GSXR + KDX220
bump!

I have sourced another engine from a friend of a friend and I know its not a duffer lol Is it worth putting any new bits in i.e big end shells etc while its out? Obviously it'll be getting a new cam belt kit, aux kit, clutch kit, oil etc etc ;)