ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bit of technical help required

MKIII 138

hi,

just bought a cup and i have to say its really quick, pulls instantly much more so than the MKII172 i had before. but i have a niggle.. the gear stick is squeeking when moved forward or back i.e with engine on or off, if i just sit in the car and move the stick into a gear i can hear it. it feels not like the gear lever but something a bit further down, it can be heard outside the car as if there is a long connecting rod thats connected to the bottom of the gearstick that moves backwards and forwards squeeking ?

what could make this happen ? does it just need oil or a bolt tightening or is tell tale signs of gearbox problem.

thing is its only got 12K miles on it and the engine isnt even run in yet, its seems really smooth and quite etc.

thanks

Mégane RS

Yeah i have the same problem, not a 172 though, seems to squeek alot and sometimes more often than other days, there is a little resistance in mine when moving the gear stick with engine on or off, i think it might be the gear linkage rod but im not sure myself, anyone any ideas?

Lionel Richie

the bottom of the stick where it joins the linkage is held on with a plastic bush and a 13mm nut

can of WD40 will sort it

also the ball joint under the gear gaitor can also dry up too, WD40 again (or grease, as WD40 might stink out the car)