ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Way Of Going About Painting?

S4 Avant
Right, got some bald patches on my car, and need the bumpers painting inferno to match.

After Adams input, I'm considering getting Halfords (is a motor factor a better bet?) to mix the paint up, and put into some rattle cans for me to have a bash myself.

As far as I can see, I have nothing to lose, the car needs spraying anyway so if I balls it up, I'm no worse of. If I get it right, I've saved myself a lot of money:approve:

So... any advice on spraying, blending, filling etc would be appreciated

106 GTi
Personally I would look into hiring a compressor - you will spend a fair wedge in rattle cans it is not that cost effective.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
im currently doing this mate. scrapped a wall right by the fog light so there was two deep scuffs either side of the fog light.

paint was £16 i think from renault

started by filling the holes. not too thickotherwise it would take days to sand down the filler put one spread on then used 180 paper dry to cut back the filler. put another spread on to fill in any more holes and repeat the sanding with the 180 paper.

work through the grades dry stepping up once you have got rid of the deeper scratches caused by the previous paper. I used. 180, 240, 320, 600, 800, 1200

should be tottaly smooth so mask up the sections you dont want paint on and cover as much of the car as you can to prevent overspray.
use a fan heater or a hair dryer to get the surface nice and warm before painting.
2 thin coats of primer 15-20mins apart. leaving the heat on it during and after each coat. once dry you can hit it with some 800dry 800wet paper then 1200dry 1200wet. clean off all dust and water then put on another 2 thin coats of primer keeping the heat on it while its drying. once dry a light rub of wet 1200 and you should be ready for paint.

make sure its clean and the surface is warm before painting. take your time it is very frustrating. spray too close and you will get orange peel, spray to far away and it will go on like sand paper. 2 thin coats using the heat all the time. allow to dry and go with some 1500 paper wet. 2 more coats allow to dry then 2000 wet sandpaper it.

you will have to feather it in so you dont get lines where you have masked up so hit the line with some 1500wet and spray over the line a bit.

lacquer is the harderst part. 2 thin coats. 2000wet then another 2 thin coats. allow to dry then use some farecla g3 rubbing compound. once you have finished with the compound you will be able to see if it need more lacquer for added shine. another coat of lacquer allow to dry and g3 it again.

its very frustrating but will save you a lot of money compared to having a respray. use a ventillated area or you will have a headache now like me after spending 3 hours of the night doing the above process in a garage.

Alex:)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
what you want paintin mate your not far from me im a painter from home and will do it at a very good price . Matt

S4 Avant
DSCN2363.jpg

DSCN2398.jpg

Cheers, think that sums it up pretty well, needs the quarters panels blending in, side skirts and rear bumper spraying, and the front bumper needs filling and spraying.

I have a mate who did body repair at chezzy college, only thing stopping him doing it is the lack of all the equipment. Let me know how much you'd be wanting for that lot

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
whats that down the side of the quarter were something has gauged into it ? you may be able to blow that quarter in just after that bump strip which will save alot of laquer . i can paint bumpers etc easy because they just go in the garage . but a quarter would be awkward as it would be done outside which is what smart repair men do anyway so it is do able and have done it before . if i were to do it i would want it to be perfect and im always worried about painting outside as a few factors affect it rain wind etc . i can rent all the stuff out to you if your mate wants to do it for you cot compressor guns mixing pots rotary polisher etc everythin really to run a small bodyshop so let me know .

S4 Avant
It's tiger seal mate, all sanded off now though... I say all, but theres a small patch on the other quarter panel covered by ducktape. PM sent.