ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Benefit of a strut brace?

Agree there's a worthwhile comparison between the effects of a strut(tower) brace and a roll cage, obviously a cage just does so to greater effect.

I purchased some off ebay, OMP Front and rear strut bracers, fitted them myself, front was a bit tricky because had to drill pilot holes in the engine bay.

I was so exited to get in and drive, and i was pleasantly surprised... on my 1.4L i can hang it!!! The back deffinatley got stiffer, and the front just does not move!

Cheap and easy mod with a high noticeable reward. reccomend it 100%!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I purchased some off ebay, OMP Front and rear strut bracers, fitted them myself, front was a bit tricky because had to drill pilot holes in the engine bay.

I was so exited to get in and drive, and i was pleasantly surprised... on my 1.4L i can hang it!!! The back deffinatley got stiffer, and the front just does not move!

Cheap and easy mod with a high noticeable reward. reccomend it 100%!

Flol @ how much you noticed that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

You say that "the front just does not move"

In what way does it not move now that it did before? Before could you grab hold of your strut tops of the shell and move them in and out but now that you have self tappered a bit of cheap metal to it you are now no longer strong enough to bend them about?

I'm sorry but I think you are talking absolutely nonsense.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You ever heard of placebo, Joshsta?

LOL

We were typing the same thing at the same time there.

This is the problem with listening to "testimonial" evidence, its only as good as the person making it is qualified to comment and in this latest case, its visibly a case of not being worth listening to at all IMHO

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
On some cars, not all. They are not effective on a clio.

The main reason the pure Motorsport one is effective on a clip is because it connects to the strut.

Really don't see why this needs spelling out when it's a conversation on a clio forum about strut braces on a clio.

I wasn't actually backing his argument btw just making it clear what he said as most didn't understand it.

RS172 Flamer
In essence, just buy a whiteline rear anti roll bar first and if you have the money to spend then buy a pure motorsport bolt in top mount + brace package after :)

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
I do enjoy reading this continuous they work/they don't work debate!
The front of a Clio is obviously a macpherson strut arrangement, when the tyre is loaded in a corner it is being pushed in at the contact patch laterally towards the centre of the car, there is a pivot point at the ball joint, therefore the loading will try to pull the strut tops apart. Our brace bolts directly to the strut top mount and is therefore the most effective means of using a strut brace. The red strut braces don't work as they are held in with self tapping screws. Try undoing one side of the brace and see how much the other side moves when you pull it and you'll see they don't work.
The rear of a clio is obviously a trailing torsion beam arrangement. Load the tyre as above and all the loading goes into the floor where the axle is bolted on - there is no direct lateral load going through the dampers to the top mounts, so no load trying to pull the strut tops apart, therefore no need for a brace. A rear brace won't do anything especially when it is mounted onto flexible rubber!
Take strut braces and roll cages as a totally different kettle of fish - roll cages with pick ups at the suspension points will do wonders for stiffness of the chassis but you can't compare one with the other.
Our strut braces do work and you can feel it - we've tried with and without back to back and they DEFINITELY make a difference. We will make a tool to measure strut movement so we can quantify this to keep the cynics happy!
Sorry to those who understand all of this already and we are teaching to suck eggs.

53 Clio's & counting
I use a rear brace in my car on track and it does stiffen the rear suspension. If its creaking at the back it's because you haven't greased the inside of the cup where it fits over the shock absorber tower. Just smear a bit of grease around the inside edge where it sits on the top and the creaking will go away. Easy fix.

Out of interest mate, what design rear brace is yours?

As the way the rear suspension set up is in the Clio, I can't see any way a strut brace would umprove it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Out of interest mate, what design rear brace is yours?

As the way the rear suspension set up is in the Clio, I can't see any way a strut brace would umprove it?

Surely he must mean an antiroll bar if he thinks it makes the suspension rate stiffer? Unless he is just mistaken