ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attn: Evil ICE and all ICE heads!

Present setup as below:

Sony MDX-M700R (yes I know it’s a Sony!)

6.5” MB Quarts front

Etons rears but will change to MB’s to match soon.

Soundstream USA305 powering fronts and soon rears.

JBL 300.1 powering custom made dual chamber ported box (EF Max designed, knocked up myself) with a 10” JL 10WO sub.

All wired and installed myself using PG wires and completely brown bread dampened (wear gloves, edges like a razor!).

Questions that I would like to ask concerning my setup.

1) Upgrade to a JL Audio 10W3 V2 10" to improve bass. Which do you recommend on the DVC 4 or 2 for a 2 or 1ohm loading thou power will be the same. Stay with 2ohms as it will produce less heat and more stable? How much can you do me one for with shipping to Hong Kong? Improvement worth the trouble or test another amp with more RMS power to drive the JL10WO sub?

2) Crappy tweeter hissing noise from my Sony HU. Thought it was a bad HU grounding but tested with engine off and hiss is still there. Added a small 1,500uf cap to the HU to try and condition the live/ground, same. Any thoughts how to rectify problem, use a new grounding point (will it make a diff?) or just buy a new HU and kill the Sony once and for all! haha

3) Lastly, what do you think of the current setup, crap, so so or just normal, any way to improve it? Please don’t compare with the pros out there as I don’t have the capital to do the extreme though I wish I had! :D

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

J

hey JC!!
why not junk some of the stuff so u can go faster!!

i mean, your piddly 206...pah...ill sell u a faster car CHEAP!!

special deal my friend...capets!!:D

Oh come off it dude, this is about ICE not a fast car!

Come to think of it your back in town later...so hows some hand carry JL10W3 for me? haha

Cheers

J

Hi JC.

I would probably change the sub to something like the W3 or an Audiobahn sub. Unfortunately we arent doing the JLs at the moment as our supplier is struggling to get hold of them..i dont understand why either. Either way stick with a dual 4ohm sub as the smaller JBLs arent very reliable at 1ohm. You could do with a bigger amp as well really but that depends on what your budget is like.

Your current setup has some good components in it. I think ytou could do with a bit more power and definately ditch the sony headunit when you can. Keep working at it and you will get there in the end.

With regards to your problem. Its either some kind of grounding problem in the system somewhere or your headunit is on its way out. Has it always made that noise? Sometimes if the RCA or speaker connections are touching on the back of the headunit it will make a weird noise too. have a browse behind the headunit to see if all the connections are alright.If they are, ry a different grounding point. If that doesnt help..try a different headunit in ther to see if the problem goes away.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

Thanks Russ for the info, will try a new ground for the HU.

BTW, what would be a decent headunit that is not over priced to replace my Sony?

Thanks for your time!

J

Go for an Alpine if you can. They start at around £170 with 2 preouts. If you are looking for something cheaper then the new Kenwood headunits are quite nice. Panasonic headunits are good if you are planning on running screens in the car as they have auxiliary in connectors for running DVDs and stuff through the system.

Russ

Revels Mum & Sister

Not meaning to butt in but I would wait until the W3 come in at Evil ICE

They are a huge improvement over the W0. Up until recently I had one. But changed over to a Polk Momo!

Definetely go for a Alpine HU! Got the 7893 as my Nakamichi is back for repair! And is a kickass HU!