ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another stalling problem

Clio Extreme 1.2 16V
The Clio 1.2 16V we've just bought was being sold because the girl who was learning to drive on it couldn't get on with the clutch. She convinced herself that old cars have crappy clutches and so she's now saving for a NEW Fiat 500! Hmmm.

Anyway, I test drove it, and I did stall once or twice but put it down to unfamiliarity with the car. After I'd got it going I had no problems.

Now the eldest lad is driving it in between lessons on the driving school's Volvo C30 (?). He says he has no problems with stalling the Volvo. However he really struggles with this car. It took about 12 attempts to pull away from the petrol station the other night. And it doesn't just stall, it stalls really violently, taking three or four big jumps before dying.

It's done 91000 miles. Leaving aside a clutch problem - just because I'd rather look for cheaper solutions first - what else could be wrong? I've seen throttle body mentioned in other threads.

The CTS is probably broken as it shows two bars even when the car is cold, and even after a long run. It did briefly show four bars the other day, but then went back to 2. Is it possible, since I'm guessing that the CTS informs the ECU about engine temp, that the mixture is wrong and this shows up as stalling?

Focus RS + S3
my little 1.2 is awful to drive when the engines cold (even the sports are rubbish when cold), but a few miles in and it gets up to temperature its great, so maybe worth changing the sensor,

like you mentioned the throttle body get gunked up as the breathing system isn't particularly great, a good clean usually does wonders.
don't know if this would help but a few weeks ago mine would randomly cut out quite aggressively whilst driving but a clean up of the crank sensor has put a stop to that :)

Clio Extreme 1.2 16V
I'm afraid it looks like the Clio was a bad buy.
It seems to have a battery problem, which is neither one thing or the other, but the main issue is that we started it this morning (to take it to the garage actually) and there was an engine light on, it wouldn't rev above 3000rpm and it wouldn't pull at all. It barely crept up a slight incline on the way into town and didn't manage more than 20mph all the way there.

The garage have called to say that the error code indicates a throttle system fault which could be the throttle pedal sensor, a problem with the throttle body, or corroded ECU wiring which is what he thinks the problem is. If it's that, I'm scrapping it.

I did ask about giving the throttle body a clean but he didn't sound like he thought it would be worth doing.

Any bright ideas before I scrap it?

Focus RS + S3
yeah, the error code for throttle pedal sensor is just what comes back for a multiple of things

personally, id give the throttle body a clean, clean the wiring loom connectors up, clean the fuses in the fuse box and relays (especially the big white connector) clean the earths up and visually check for breaks in the wire. most of the wiring is covered in the rubbery stuff, so shouldn't take 'too' long.

if its the same engine as my 03 plate (they changed at some point, cant remember) best place to start is at the back of the engine where the ECU is, the left hand plug theres a security cage that usually rubs through the wire,

good luck