ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another HID thread...

I've fitted a number of HID kits on cars but to be honest it's not worth the hassle now mate, what with the MOT changes and the fact that in an accident your insurance will be invalid.
Unless you have the correct projector style headlights built for HID and washers but then you still won't have the electronic self levelling system
I'm not having a go mate just saying it's getting more and more difficult to be legal with aftermarket HID kits.

How will the insurance be void? You don't need the washers or self levelers. They can only fail you on them if they're present and not working. If it doesn't have them, they can't test them.

HIDs and Xenons are the same thing BTW.

no comment, then......
fit them and see what happens, darn it, I've commented.
Ok, insurance is void because you have adapted a car to use a lighting system that is not built for that headlight assembly, dazzling or whatever, you don't need to give an Insurance company a chance to renege on a policy.
Not true concerning the HID's, the MOT centre has a list of cars that have HID's as standard hence aftermarket kits are failing, apart from the fact the light pattern is wrong.

I know there are hundreds of threads on HID kits and believe me, I've been through them all.

All I want to know is where I would be mounting the Ballasts and what with?

Also, are these going to be of good quality?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140667286299#ht_5722wt_986

I'm looking for Bright white lights that aren't going to attract police attention so I'm going to be going for 6000k I think.

I would say they look a bit cheap, try here http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

172 cup- suzu rf600r
6000 k on mine, no issues they are pretty white.

I mounted the ballasts under the slam panel (think that's what it's called?) the bit the bonnet latches onto above the radiator, I mounted them to that just by the headlights

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
i think your best off getting xenons, HID's are against the law unless your car has the requirements stated above. Your just drawing unwanted attention to yourself.

6000K are not that Blue TBH, the standard HID's on the RS are 4300k which is equivalent to daylight on the Kelvin scale.
Not sure what you mean concerning Xenon's or HID, they are both the same, need a ballast pack to light them, self levelling, correct headlamp projectors and washer jets are required by law.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i think your best off getting xenons, HID's are against the law unless your car has the requirements stated above. Your just drawing unwanted attention to yourself.

Erm.

HID is the type of bulb. High Intensity Discharge.

Xenon is the gas used in the bulb.

HID bulbs are xenon.

Used in a projector lens and aligned correctly, an MOT tester wouldn't fail you, most probably. If not, just swap back for the MOT. 20 min job.

Erm.

HID bulbs are xenon.

Used in a projector lens and aligned correctly, an MOT tester wouldn't fail you, most probably. If not, just swap back for the MOT. 20 min job.

Just bought the 6000k kit from HIDs-direct, saw you and another guy had bought them in your thread Chris so went for it. :eek:

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
you need a ballist for HID's... Xenons are just a bulb without the pack, simply replace the existing bulbs.

6000K are not that Blue TBH, the standard HID's on the RS are 4300k which is equivalent to daylight on the Kelvin scale.
Not sure what you mean concerning Xenon's or HID, they are both the same, need a ballast pack to light them, self levelling, correct headlamp projectors and washer jets are required by law.

So with regards to the headlight washers, can the police pick me up on not having them?

2007 1.5 DCI (86)
Technically, for a car to have xennons/HID's what ever you want to call them, you need to have self levelling headlights as to not blind other road users and an automatic washing system, again thats to do with the dust bit disrupting the beam pattern.The police are unlikely to know that and on seeing your car they will just think that the lights are standard.HID's and xennons are the same.True, you can buy standard bulbs that are filled with xennon gas but they are not true xennons as they still have a filiment.Real xennon bulbs are HID's.

120d M Sport
Should be fine to run on your car. Dual optics = projector lenses, someone correct me if I happen to be wrong.

2007 1.5 DCI (86)
Should be fine to run on your car. Dual optics = projector lenses, someone correct me if I happen to be wrong.
Dual optics is where you have separate bulbs for dipped beam and high beam.
Cars that have this often do have a projector lense on the dipped beam, but not always.

apart from the fact the light pattern is wrong.

HIDs fitted into projector lenses will still make the correct lighting pattern.

Just bought the 6000k kit from HIDs-direct, saw you and another guy had bought them in your thread Chris so went for it. :eek:

They'll be perfect, I had that exact same kit in my 200 for over a year with no problems, pure white light also.

you need a ballist for HID's... Xenons are just a bulb without the pack, simply replace the existing bulbs.

Wrong. Proper Xenons and HIDs are the same thing.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Erm.

HID bulbs are xenon.

No. lol.

A xenon bulb won't fire without a ballast!

Again, they're the same thing!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Dual Optics are projectors.

I did think about HID, but since I already have Nightbreakers, and this whole self levelling/washer business is putting me right off.

I don't know if there's any self levelling or washer kits available to meet these new criteria, but probably just best to stay with decent conventional bulbs for now.

Like I said, you take a chance with non factory fit HID's, I ran 2 Type R's with HID's and never had any problems with the Police or at MOT time but these changes to the MOT are to stop these aftermarket kits.
Someone pointed out to me once that the Toyota Supra circa 1994 has HID's but no washers from the factory so go figure.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Like I said, you take a chance with non factory fit HID's, I ran 2 Type R's with HID's and never had any problems with the Police or at MOT time but these changes to the MOT are to stop these aftermarket kits.
Someone pointed out to me once that the Toyota Supra circa 1994 has HID's but no washers from the factory so go figure.

Regulations change. What was fine in 1994 might not be fine now.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
With the Supra example, it'll probably be like the seatbelt requirements. If the car was fitted with seatbelts as standard, then they must be present and correct. Any cars which were built before seatbelts became compulsory fitting will still be able to operate without belts.

In other words, if the car was built before it was compulsory to fit washers and self levelling, then it will still be able to run without them.

Changes to often
i have projector lamps on mine, and a 8k HID kit, belive me its too much, wish i had gone for the 6K because the 8k's are so blue you loose the light, had no problems with mot tho, and never been flashed or pulled.

Clio 172 cup,
If anyone cares to spend 10 minutes going searching for official 2012 VOSA mot manual, look under the lighting section, no where does it say xenon kits are illegal, just that if self levelling/washers are fitted, they must work correctly like any part of the mot test.

I have also enquired about them with two seperate mechanics at different garages and there answers are the same, as long as the headlights are adjusted correctly, there is nothing to worry about.

I have just put my 172 cup with an aftermarket kit through an mot, it passed with no advisories, and no mention of xenons!, all this nonsense about xenon kits being illegal is just a rumour, after having confirmed it for myself from 4 seperate sources of reliable info.