ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(Another) Crashed Cup

Black Gold 182

Hello all, havent been on here for a while as you will see as you read on. I was involved in a very serious accident on the A449 near Wolverhampton on New Years Eve in which my Cup collided with a vintage Moggy Minor. This is a national speed limit road, and the guy has unfortunately pulled out of a junction to turn right across my path as I was travelling down there. Tragically, he lost his life as a result of the accident, something that I have understandably been gutted about for some time.

The police have been investigating, and fortunately (at least on my part) plenty of witnesses were around to see what happened. Although the investigation is not closed yet, the police have said that it appears nothing more sinister than a tragic accident as he has just pulled out on me.

Simply put, the Cup has saved my life and that much has been said to me by police, amulance, fire crews etc who attended the scene, quite a sobering thought really. Sorry to go all sombre on everyone, I suppose that the real point of my post is just that all the safety stuff on modern cars is something we take for granted and rarely mention but can be absolutely vital (even minus the ABS).

Hope all those in recently crashed cups get everything sorted, Direct Line are assessing mine tomorrow - Im no expert but I really dont think Ill be anthing less than a write off.

Safe driving everyone.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Sad story, sorry to hear about this tragic accident. Unlucky for the old guy, glad youre ok. Puts everything else into perspective, only takes a split second for a mistake that wrecks lives.

thats really bad mate. Glad that you are ok. You are right that I know everyone will talk for hours about the Cup/ABS topic, but we do forget the other safety features on modern cars like airbags Side impact protection etc...

There was nothing that you could have done. It wasnt your fault so try not to get to down about it.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

hard to know what 2 say. hope u are doing ok and condolences to the old guys family.

Sorry to be the insensitive contvertial one but maybe a compulsary driving test at the age of 55 should be brought in. That may have prevented such an unecessary event. Its all right critising young drivers but i think we need to look at the other end of the spectrum, and the cause of many fatal rosd accidents. I also think although a fan of vintage motors etc that they should be tested for the ability to excalerate upto the national speed limit within a set time frame most of these old classics just dont brake effeciently so the drivers drive far to slow.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Really sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok and use all the support availble to you as Ive seen the results when people havent coped. Condolences to the other mans family.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 03 March 2004

Sorry to be the insensitive contvertial one but maybe a compulsary driving test at the age of 55 should be brought in. That may have prevented such an unecessary event. Its all right critising young drivers but i think we need to look at the other end of the spectrum, and the cause of many fatal rosd accidents. I also think although a fan of vintage motors etc that they should be tested for the ability to excalerate upto the national speed limit within a set time frame most of these old classics just dont brake effeciently so the drivers drive far to slow.

agreed

hope everything gets sorted for u

ive had a number of incidences where people mis judge the speed im going and think they can pull out, luckily ive been able to break in time but it does definately make me think i should wait another second and look again at the car before pulling out

keep aware people

Why have you assumed the other driver was older/elderly - or have I missed something :confused:

Bad situation all round though.

Nissan R35 GT-R

I disagree.

Everyone momentarily lapses concentration once in a while - young or old -and this is probably what happened. Just a shame the car didnt hold up as well as a more modern one. :(

I think a driving check-up should be brought in at the age of 60.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

no matter how old you are you make a mistake at some point in your life.sorry to hear about the accident mate but thats all it was an accident so try not to beat yourself up about it because it sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

VW Potato

i read about this accident somewhere, I remember it because it had an old Morris Minor in it. Now that Ive learnt it involved one of us, it sends a shiver down my spine.

I dont think a Minor would have offered hardly any protection at all, so it would not have taken a serious impact to have tragic consequences. Im truely sorry that you were involved (however guiltlessly) in something that claimed the life of another person; I would struggle to cope with that myself. As suggested, use the support systems available to you to help you cope and keep you strong.

take care,

g

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Sorry to here about that, my mate drives down that road to work and said hed seen a smashed cup a few weeks back. Didnt realised anyone was killed though, Its a horrible feeling. I thought Id killed an old lady once who stepped out in front of my old R5 luckily she survived but that day was a nightmare.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well that makes 4.. or is it 5 in the last week.. including 1 172.. scary stuff.

It happened New Years Eve boys!!

Sorry to hear it thou fella, glad you are ok and hope you can get over it and move on with your life, you have got a bright future ahead;)

Smokey

there was a reno 5 turbo and a gsi astra having a race and the little reno hit the kerb at 100mph, flipped up and landed in a tree. There was four lads in it and two of them flew through the front window and hit the tarmac, the other two went out the back and hit a brick wall. They must be dead.. ill have to check the papers. Quite disturbing really but doing 100mph on a 40 is just asking for it. So, anyway to the point - new cars crumple to sweet FA but at least they are safer. Doesnt the new clio have a 4 star rating?

I think ill not be buying a CUP. They seem to be cursed.

Mk2 Golf GTI

i was looking on a salvage site and there were a few rolled clios in there, They wer completely smashed u but the passenger compartments were still fully intact and the roof wasnt caved in.

Black Gold 182

Cheers everyone, I do appreciate all your kind words. Got an accident investigator from the insurance company coming to see me tonight for another statement on the liability side of things then it will be time to get on with the claim I hope. The Cup was an 03 plate with 4k on the clock - anyone got ideas of what sort of payout I should be asking for? Have looked in the Glass Guide but cant find the Cup in there at all.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 03 March 2004

no matter how old you are you make a mistake at some point in your life.sorry to hear about the accident mate but thats all it was an accident so try not to beat yourself up about it because it sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

Hear hear.

We all have lapses in concentration. Poeple are not perfect. We all make mistakes!

BUT as has also been said, you must not beat yourself up about it, as it was NOT YOUR FAULT.

So as has been said many times already. Chin up, and you know where we all are.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 04 March 2004

there was a reno 5 turbo and a gsi astra having a race and the little reno hit the kerb at 100mph, flipped up and landed in a tree. There was four lads in it and two of them flew through the front window and hit the tarmac, the other two went out the back and hit a brick wall. They must be dead.. ill have to check the papers. Quite disturbing really but doing 100mph on a 40 is just asking for it. So, anyway to the point - new cars crumple to sweet FA but at least they are safer. Doesnt the new clio have a 4 star rating?

I think ill not be buying a CUP. They seem to be cursed.

Look what happened to this car!:sick:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078445587__Scort2.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1078445562__Scort1.jpg

Street Triple R

OMG! that must have been a cut n shut mustnt it? to split in half like that!

Nickyboy - hope everything gets sorted out for you mate

Stanced Honda S2000

hope all goes well nick, sorry to hear off something so sad, i bet its hard to not feel guilty but as many ppl have said it wasnt your fault. i do honestly agree with a check up at 60 because my gran scares me ! me and a friend went to a scrap yard once and saw a few clios, they where all smashed in but all the drivers area was unnafected (apart from airbags) i myself honestly believe they are one of the safest cars on the road and feel safe in mine. I dont drive fast nor really wish to but if anything ever did happen i know id be safe. this case just goes to prove they are safe but unfortunately somebody had to pay a penalty and somebody has to live with it on thier mind. chin up fella, seriously tho, any of us are here to talk to im sure. u couldnt have more support.

all the best mate, hope things go well in life etc,

rich.

Tappd'd RS

Sorry to hear that mate, it brings up sobering thoughts reading something like that. Hope you get back on the road soon!

Is the A449 the road from Dudley (Kingswinford) into Wolverhampton? Im on it every so often and there are some bad junctions on it.