ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 182 headlight question

BMW 120i Sport

Ive used the search function, but nothing answered my question.

I understand about the headlight levelling system, but it kinda seems that the driver side doesnt throw the light that far up the road. The passenger side is fine, illuminating the side of the road perfectly, but when I Was out on the motorway, it could only have been a good 6 or 7 car lengths ahead which I thought was a little short? Here is a little picture I drew to demonstrate.

http://www.aoth56.dsl.pipex.com/headlight.jpg

Any other 182 owners feel that theyre not giving much distance on illumination?

I presume Renault can either a) test them and confirm them to be ok or b) adjust them

G

[Edited by Big G on 12/18/2004 5:48:54 PM]

I have the same problem, very bright but not very good throw of light forwards. Ill be booking mine in, in the new year for various warranty jobs and Ill be getting them to check the headlamp self adjuster while theyre at it.

As it is now, on unlit B roads etc. I have to back right off in the dark because I just cant see far enough forward without using main beam, which aint great if theres oncoming traffic!

I Drive my Doriss 53 plate Fiesta alot and I can see alot further on dipped beam in that (not as bright but further)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The are like that to prevent dazzling an oncoming car, hence the inside light throws more light that the outside light ??

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 18 December 2004

The are like that to prevent dazzling an oncoming car, hence the inside light throws more light that the outside light ??
Yeah I take your point but mine are poor full stop. The throw is really short, too short for them to be set up right.

BMW 120i Sport

Yeah Jez, thats the problem i have.

Its very bright where it throws the light, it just doesnt throw the light far enough. Im gonna get it looked at.

Glad Im not the only one Big G!

Ill post again when mines been in and let everyone know what happens!

If you get yours sorted first let us know what they did will ya?:)

They are jusy right, what the hell do you want from a set of headlights. If you had any longer throw from the offside then you would blind every mo fo out there (dipped obviously). Every headlight gives a higher nearside. God why dont people understand why evey car has the same offset light arrangement. Matters not if it a xenon or a basic halogen.

There is nothing to sort other than a lack of understanding of basic vehicle function

Get a grip "Im taking mine in".

There seems too many younguns who have no idea as to basic function. Before people worry about who has the fastest car. How about a basic understanding of the basic function in the first place,

No wonder people get upset. Lack of basic knowledge is so scarry.

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 19 December 2004

They are jusy right, what the hell do you want from a set of headlights. If you had any longer throw from the offside then you would blind every mo fo out there (dipped obviously). Every headlight gives a higher nearside. God why dont people understand why evey car has the same offset light arrangement. Matters not if it a xenon or a basic halogen.

There is nothing to sort other than a lack of understanding of basic vehicle function

There seems too many younguns who have no idea as to basic function. Before people worry about who has the fastest car. How about a basic understanding of the basic function in the first place,

:cry:

If you kids are trying to drive too fast for the throw of a xenon: then 1) slow down to the level you can drive/see at. 2) slow down anyway.

What the hell do you want, daylight everywhere you go. Grow up and understand people have to drive towards you all the time.

Da

Less

lol, im sure Jay has a good understanding of basic function of the Renos lol

BigG those lights are not correctly adjusted. I had the same problems with the xenons on my 172. You need a long phillips screw driver to get to the white thumbwheel adjusters behind the lights. There should be an access hole near the wing. Follow the links below to correctly adjust them yourself.

http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html color=#0000ffUhttp://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html/U
http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html color=#0000ffUhttp://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html/U
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/index.html?page=/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/ccr20010801ha.htmU color=#0000ffhttp://www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/index.html?page=/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/ccr20010801ha.htm/U

Doh those links dont work anymore, must delete them from my favorites. Do a search on google on headlight aiming. Its easy to adjust them correctly.

BMW 120i Sport

They are jusy right, what the hell do you want from a set of headlights. If you had any longer throw from the offside then you would blind every mo fo out there (dipped obviously). Every headlight gives a higher nearside. God why dont people understand why evey car has the same offset light arrangement. Matters not if it a xenon or a basic halogen.There is nothing to sort other than a lack of understanding of basic vehicle functionGet a grip "Im taking mine in". There seems too many younguns who have no idea as to basic function. Before people worry about who has the fastest car. How about a basic understanding of the basic function in the first place,No wonder people get upset. Lack of basic knowledge is so scarry.

Holy christ, what a patronising r****d you are. Who made *you* judge and jury?

Im comparing the beam pattern against my two other cars (both throw light *much* further and the same beam patternt) and I was concerned that there was something up with the 182 lights, judging on Renault reliability its something to certainly question. The throw from the drivers side is poor, short and I found it difficult to see infront and to the right of the car on an motorway at 70 mph, at night.

Its nothing to do with wanting to drive fast and I understand how headlights work you fkwit, its for my own safety because i cant see where im going in the dark.

If you do a search, youll see that this has been questioned in the past.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 19 December 2004
Doh those links dont work anymore, must delete them from my favorites. Do a search on google on headlight aiming. Its easy to adjust them correctly.

Thanks Jon, I didnt know there was a manual adjustment on them too - thought there was just an auto-leveling system you couldnt intervene with.

Ford Fiesta

i think the xenons on the clio renaultsports are brilliant. Uniform light, great coverage and bright! coudlnt want any better.

Use full beam on dark country lanes.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 19 December 2004

Holy christ, what a patronising r****d you are. Who made *you* judge and jury?

Im comparing the beam pattern against my two other cars (both throw light *much* further and the same beam patternt) and I was concerned that there was something up with the 182 lights, judging on Renault reliability its something to certainly question. The throw from the drivers side is poor, short and I found it difficult to see infront and to the right of the car on an motorway at 70 mph, at night.

Its nothing to do with wanting to drive fast and I understand how headlights work you fkwit, its for my own safety because i cant see where im going in the dark.

If you do a search, youll see that this has been questioned in the past.
ignore this guy big G all he ever does is come on here and slate everyone for being pathetic or stupid i dont know why he bothers:(

Firstly Im not a kid or a young gun Ive been driving for 17 yrs and know how a vehicle functions you tw*t.

Secondly Its my car and if I want to take it in to a dealer to get it checked I f**king well will. I know when something is not right.

Thirdly the thread had nothing to do with who has the fastet car or in fact any other sort of bravado (look it up in your mums dictionary)

Fourth - For gods sake go and get laid (again check it out in your mums dictionary) you might find you become a less angry and objectionable person if you can fully master this most basic human function......well hopefully.

BMW 120i Sport

Iceblue182: ah ok, ill not get so wound up in future ;)

Jezza: I had a look at the back of the headlight last night and I can see a hex socket on the back but im not sure if its for height adjustment.

Ill take a pic and see what everyone thinks.

Ziel Nurburgring

Where are you based, most people on here wouldnt mind meeting up to compare the throw of the xenons. Saves a trip to the monkies with spanners.

Ziel Nurburgring

And please dont get this thread deleted. The fella is only trying to find out if his lights arent set up correctly.

Delete the argumentative posts, but not the thread

Ziel Nurburgring

Hmmm, cant help you there. Im right at the other end of our little island, but i know there are plenty in and around Edinburgh that wouldnt mind helping (also gives you a chance to meet other members)

The last photo is the thumbwheel that is used to make the adjustments.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20010801ha.htmlhttp://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20010801ha.html

http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.htmlhttp://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48167&highlight=headlight+alignmenthttp://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48167&highlight=headlight+alignment

Follow the links to find out how to adjust them correctly. Make sure your tyre pressures are correct. You need an absolutely flat surface. eg go to a multistory carpark.

[Edited by JonC on 20 December 2004 at 7:15pm]

BMW 120i Sport

John, are you certain? Was it the same screw on the 172?

[Edited by Big G on 12/20/2004 7:47:51 PM]

EDIT:

Well done that man! That screw does indeed manually adjust the headlight level on the 182. Clockwise to raise, anti-clockwise to lower.

Might want to sticky this, or add it to a user guide for all users?

Cheers

G

No problem, just dont be tempted to raise the level too high, I know I did and got flashed constantly, DOH! Those links will help you set them to the correct level and alignment.

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 21 December 2004

No problem, just dont be tempted to raise the level too high, I know I did and got flashed constantly, DOH! Those links will help you set them to the correct level and alignment.
Yeah, point taken! Cheers M8;)