ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMOC Super GT - Snetterton

Turbos.
The next round of Britcar is at Snetterton, so because of our lack of straightline pace, we booked ourselves into this Aston Martin owner's club race for a bit of practice.

The Super GT race is aimed at housing cars that are very modified, often ineligble for pretty much any other series. Cars involved included a 730bhp Aston, 700bhp Porsche 935 and a crazy 400bhp Alfasud (yes, still FWD).

I took a look round the paddock...

The aforementioned 730bhp Aston was designed and built by the owner in a barn. Just about every square inch was carbon fibre. Not bad!

P1060801.jpg

P1060802.jpg

P1060803.jpg

P1060804.jpg

The Porsche spent most of the day in this sort of condition. The problem with these amazing machines is that they are quite temperamental...

P1060809.jpg

P1060808.jpg

P1060807.jpg

I've seen the Alfa before and was looking forward to racing it after seeing what it could do, but it only made qualifying.

P1060827.jpg

LS7 (i think) engined Marcos.

P1060799.jpg

P1060800.jpg

The GT4/N24 Astons - our main contenders for Class 2.

P1060798.jpg

P1060797.jpg

P1060812.jpg

The Mosler looked like a good contender. They are common in Britcar and reliable.

P1060791.jpg

Check out a rear brake comparison!

P1060796.jpg

P1060792.jpg

The race was meant to have lots of other cars, such as other mad Astons and Chevy engined TVRs/Marcoses like the one above. Because they didn't materialise, entry was boosted by the inclusion of the Ferrari Open. They were basically 355 Challenge cars.

P1060824.jpg

Talking of temperamental cars, the Elise refused to downchange above 3000rpm in quali. It was down to the gear selector display (we were sent the wrong one!), so there was a rush job to replace with an old unit.

P1060794.jpg

P1060788.jpg

With no subsequent testing, the first race would be a case of crossing fingers! I took the first race, and nervously sat in the collection area as it started raining... with the race being just 30mins i had little choice, i was stuck with slicks.

P1060793.jpg

The rain continued as i waited. The team made a mad dash for the wets but then the clouds cleared and the wind started to dry things off. False alarm!

To help us get warmed up, we were given an extra safety car lap before the rolling start. The two guy in Aston N24s were ahead of me with 355s behind. I was wondering i'd get swallowed up as the green lights went. I got busy weaving and stamping on the brakes... turning my headlights on as we prepared to go.

As the safety car pulled off, the guy in pole (the 935) slowed everyone down to a crawl. We were bunched up, and this was much better for me. I slipstreamed the Aston ahead and as he tried to get past the other i gritted my teeth and went round the outside of him on the wet line, praying i'd done enough to warm the slicks up!

It worked, and being lighter, i could comfortably retain position as we braked hard for the second corner. I flashed up the next Aston to let him know i was coming!

And so began a bit of a battle. The guy in the Aston was an instructor so he knew where to block me. I was quicker in pretty much every corner, so he chose to brake earlier so i couldn't carry the momentum i needed to the next straight. It was frustrating, trying to slipstream him was fruitless... he had just too much grunt, and it resulted in me overcooking into the final chicane. I couldn't get a slipstream tow and he pulled a couple of seconds over two laps.

I wondered if i'd be able to reel him back, but after another few laps i got into the groove and we were back together again. I was trying everything, and it got very close as we started lapping people. At one point a slower Ferrari turned in on me (we're so low, they need to be eagle eyed with the mirrors!) with milimetres to spare!

Then it started raining. When it starts raining mid-race you have no choice but to see what happens at the same speed, otherwise there is no way you can judge the grip. Fortunately, although the car was sliding, it was manageable. I was right up the Aston's chuff!

The procession started again, weaving behind him like an annoying fly but i couldn't get past. I realised it would have to be Corum i made my move. Its a long, blind right hander with two apexes. He had to have a small brake beforehand, i started taking it flat.

525px-Snetterton_circuit_layout.svg.png

I tried a going round the outside of him a few times, but wasn't close enough. He shut the door on me easily. I then went for the inside line, but it compromised my line for the chicane, he could block without fuss.

So, as the race was in its final stages, i went for it round the outside again, but he had just enough speed and pushed me onto the grass. Now normally slicks and wet grass with 100% throttle doesn't mix, but the car - somehow - was OK!

The next lap i got a better run, and tip toed round the edge of him before the chicane. I had watched his car shimmy under braking so was worried he'd end up in the back of me, but it stayed clean and i had breathing space. I then set my fastest lap and thanks to others dropping out, claimed 2nd overall and 1st in class.

As thought, the Mosler won.

P1060795.jpg

Sorry for that long report, but its probably the busiest i've been! My dad had a great race with the same car, and despite getting past him twice unfortunately limped home in 3rd after a coming together which went a steering arm.

I'll have to try and get the vid on YouTube... for now, some pictures of other cars.

P1060810.jpg

P1060813.jpg

P1060814.jpg

P1060815.jpg

P1060816.jpg

P1060819.jpg

P1060820.jpg

P1060823.jpg

P1060825.jpg

P1060826.jpg

P1060806.jpg

172 phII
Awesome pics m8!

Could u give us a direct link to the whole album so I can post it on other forums?

Cheers

172//Crap Micra//Bus
There's some bloody unbelievable machinery there... the cost's must be beyond through the roof. And that Vantage is just UBER!! Great write up though, and congrats. Sounds like a brilliant weekend all round with some great driving and a very well earned result.

A big well done to everybody involved :)

Turbos.
Thanks guys!

I would provide you a link to my Photobucket, but it says it needs a login. Anyone know how to make it public? Having said that, the ones i have posted is all i have.

Oil Burner
Some awesome machinery there, great write up too. Well done on the 2nd/1st

I recognise that Porsche, he nearly killed me at the brands britcar meeting on the Friday.

417097334_CXZ8U-M-6.jpg

417108493_NBHsj-M-7.jpg

172 phII
Thanks guys!

I would provide you a link to my Photobucket, but it says it needs a login. Anyone know how to make it public? Having said that, the ones i have posted is all i have.

Just go on photobucket and create an account (its free). Upload and just give a link to the album thyt you will create - easy! :)

Photobucket is cool as it has that bulk uploader. And no, i dont work for them :rasp:, Im just a satisfied user :)

W

Willy

Good pictures. That alfa is insane, although pretty much every race from the start of the season hes been having gearbox problems, its so powerful it just rips it to peices. He had a new one put in at Silverstone so hopefully itll be able to do another race or two lol :)

Tangoed Works
excellent write up, always look forward to them. you defo got skills matey, nice to be the underdog in terms of power but posses the skill in the tricky bits.

Seat Leon Supercopa
Oi ! - Practicing !! - that's cheating ;)

Must say I love Snett, but if you think the lotus lacks pace down the straight.....!
we need to take a book to read in the Clio !!