ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine CDA-7876RB ....Opinions and advice please

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Has anybody got one of these Alpine heads units fitted and if so are they worth the money. I am upgrading and have been seduced by the look and the features it offers but would like to hear your opinions before I shell out. Also looking to fit the CHA-S624 changer and SPR-175A (front) and SPR-132B (rear)

Thought the £70 for the adapter lead to allow the OEM steering remote to be used a bit steep though.

Also as this head is rated at 60w per/ch and it has a seperate sub pre/out could I get away with just fitting a sub/amp to bring the bass up and not amp the front/rear, as the replacement speakers can cope more than well with the output of the head.

Opinions and any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

dosent really matter, if u amp everything itll be loud as a bugger, good quality and within reaon it dont matter what head unit uve got.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Ben j:
Not interested in volume but quality of sound.
Tony:
Nothing will work with the OEM changer that comes with the car, its scrap, unless you can sell it with the OEM head.

I was told that there should be no reason why the cd changer wont work with other alpine head-units. This was by a guy working for renault. He said they dont do anything to them, just get them supplied from alpine.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Every ice dealer ive spoken to has said the same, that it only works with OEM heads, I know they are all into new business but can they all be wrong.
I spoke to cel-direct.co.uk and was going to amp everything and replace speakers and stuff and spend £6-700 on kit to make the OEM setup better but they said I would be better off just getting a decent head and speakers and not spend so much, so I guess they can be believed in regards to the changer. If you can get it in writing, so to speak, then let me know as Ill save about £150 on a new changer!!

Not entirely sure but from the looks of the changer in the 172 it is a M-Bus Alpine unit. This wont connect to any current Alpine head unit as they all use Ai-Net connections now. May be this is why everyone says it wont work.

I could be completely wrong though.

Carl

Chris,

I have always used Alpine head units in my cars, whether amplified or not, and you wont be disapointed with the quality (although I may be biased now ! ). I currently have the CDA-7878R (the MP3 one) which has pretty much the same features as yours and it is class, a great starting point to build a complete system around.

Carl

If it is actually Alpine M-Bus is it possible to get adaptors for this? Id much prefer to leave the changer intact and just replace the head-unit. Oh well, guess its going to be a complete rip-out job

Yes Tony your correct,

It converts the wrong way to allow Ai-Net changers (e.g S624) to work on the M-bus head units. I dont think Alpine make one that works the other way, mybe you could try Autoleads.

Alternativly Alpine still do have some CD head units that will support M-Bus (prefix CDM) but I think you will be limiting yourself if you want to ever and anything else like a DSP etc.. as they are all Ai-Net.

Dont hold me to this I could be completely wrong and the changer in the 172 could be a completely differnet connection than standard Alpine ones. Dont see why they would go to the hassle to make a non-standard interface when they already have perfectly fine ones available (apart from to cause us end users hassle !)

Carl

Carl, I think it is a M-Bus as I think its the changer in my link above. However, I dont want a CD head-unit (no point when I have a cd changer) I want a MD head so I need to change it. I have a Sony head and changer that I could fit but that means ripping everything out. I might have to do this to get the remote and display working anyway.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

I spoke to Alpines technical department today and they told me that it wont work with anything else as Manufacturers try to keep you tied into their parts. They did say about a company that do interfaces, In Car Developments, so I contacted them too but they only do the link the way.

I am going to replace the whole system and transplant the one from my Megane in, when I finally get the 172 in June time. Spec Below if any one is interested.

Alpine CDA-7878R MP3/CD/Tuner
Alpine S624 CD Changer
Alpine PXA-H600 Time-Correction DSP
Genesis 5-Channel Amp
Alpine DDC-F17B 200W 16cm 2way Component Speakers (Front)
Alpine DDC-R13A 120W 13cm 2way Component (Rear)
Alpine 13" Removable Sub Box

As you can see I quite like Alpine bits !

Carl

ICE'dberg MK2 172

That all makes for a fantastic system Carl. Are you planning a UK sourced car or going the import route?
I only ask as, if you are going import and are planning to fit an alarm you would be best to get the tweeters fitted at the same time, along with the adaptor lead to allow the remote controls to work (£70!!!!!!) as the dash will have to come out to fit it all.
Wish I had made my mind up when I had my alarm fitted cause its all got to come out again

Is the head powerfull enough on its own, 4X45w isnt it?, to drive those speakers, as the head im looking at has 4X60w so wont be amping the F/Rs. All I am planning to add is a sub & amp, although I have seen a couple of nice powered boxes, but there is not much space in the boot so was also thinking about a StealthBoxz.

I at the moment I am waiting till June time when I graduate from uni to buy myself the 172 (otherwise I will get no work done ! will just want to go driving all the time !). Havent decided on import/dealer yet it will depend on the deals I can find at the time.

Luckily I already have the adaptor for the steering wheel controls from the Megane so that will go in as well. Basically going to have to do two installs as the dash will have to come off in the megane to get the bits out then off in the Clio to put it in ! Although the guy that did the original install was very good an have had no problems about the quality so I will have no hesitation in letting him take the dash out of the Clio.

I am not sure running my system straight off the head unit, I have been very impressed with the quality of my Genesis 5-Channel Amp and dont think I would run a system again without amping all the speakers. However yours has 4x60 like you say so as long as you are not cranking it all the way up the quality should be fine.

The boot space is a problem for me too. I always thought my Coupes boot was small but as the opening is so small the install is actally hidden nicely out of the way against the rear suspension mounts. I am hoping that I will be able to achive the same thing in the Clio as with the removable sub the boot is suprisingly versatile. If I can find the battery for my digital camera I will take some shots for you to look at.

Cheers,

Carl

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I am also looking at the 7876RB. Whats the cheapest price anyone has found? I will also need a shuttle pack to go with it.

Hi Jas,

cel-direct.com have the 7876RB for £329.99 and have the 6-Disc Changer for £145 and the 12-Disc for £199.

I think these seem like quite good prices but I havent really been shopping around for stereo bits recently. Not sure what high street prices are like at the mo.

Cheers,

Carl.

172 Cup

Id go with Carls suggestion. 7876RB is normally around £399 and the 6 and 12 disc changers are normally £165 and £219 respectively

https://secure.caraudiodirect.com/shop/acatalog/cda7876rb.jpg">

ICE'dberg MK2 172

I have found a better price than CEL. Try they have the Apline pack which includes the CDA-7876RB & CHA-624 for £449.99 (retail £675). They are in Leicester so they are quite close to me as £15 postage is more than my petrol money. I must say CEL are a good company and have been going for many years and I have bought most of my stuff from them in the past and they also price match!

Does the Alpine CDA-7878R works with the oem steering wheel control or if it needs an adapter?

I was planning to change the oem headunit, but now after reading this thread I think Ill need a new 12 cds changer after all