ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All about servicing rules/time/whats done etc (Mk 2 phase 2 none RS cars)

Status
Not open for further replies.
None Renault sport cars Mk2 phase 2 and 3 (i.e. ones with triangular type lights)

Servicing (UK only)

Normal servicing is done ever 18k or 2 yrs there is a 1 month/1k tolerance so you can have it done up to 25month or 19k before any warranty implications. Beyond this time/warranty period you maybe asked by Renault for a % payment from yourself for warranty work depending upon how much later you had the service done. However they can only really ask if having the service done at the right time would have spotted the issue.

What needs to be done normally.

The service schedule is quite complex so instead of being called 12k etc I’ll change them to
18k A
36k A and B
54k A
72k A, B and C
90k A
108k A and B
126 A

Hopefully you get the idea. At 72k you need both A, B and C doing. When you do the work / book it in you ask for the service by mileage though.

If you don’t do 18k ever 2 yrs then the car needs to be serviced ever 2yrs to the same specification as if you had done that mileage.

An “A” service consists of

Change oil
Change oil filter
Change air filter (The 1.2 8V, 1.4 16V and 1.6 16V only need to be done at the 36k service)
Change passenger compartment filter (if appropriate)
Check bodywork for rust etc (this is part of the Renault anticorrosion check)
Check brakes for wear, failing seals, fluid level (the reservoir on the 172/182 is at the back of the engine on the drivers’ side on the bulkhead. You need to remove the engine cover if fitted to see if often as it is in an annoying place)
Check power steering
Check exhaust
Check condition of the rubber gaiters on the steering rack
Check the coolant level (big tank attached to the back of the engine bay on the passenger’s side of the car. Top up etc as appropriate so the level is between the minimum and maximum. Make sure you do this when the engines coolant is cold as the system is highly pressurised (1.2 bar and hot) so it can hurt you if you try removing the cap when it’s hot. Also fluid level changed when it’s hot.
Front and rear windscreen wiper check. Condition etc.
Tyres check for uneven wear and pressures (spare should be also check).
Check front and rear shock absorbers are correctly fixed no leaks etc.
Check bulbs work (brakes/indicators etc)
Check battery charge state.
Check all windows/mirrors for cracks etc.
Computer check of any errors logged in the ECU etc.

Some dealers will check other things i.e. tyre wear depth and top up washer fluid these should be a normal check anyway though as an owner.

Expect to pay between £100 and £160 depends where you are in the country. Shouldn’t take more than half a day but dealers ask for it all day so they can have work all day for the mechanics. The later 54k services can cost more as then clean the brakes (say £80 extra)

A “B” service consists of

Spark plugs changed.
Change air filter (The 1.2 8V, 1.4 16V, 1.6 16V and all dci’s only need to be done at the 36k service, the 1.2 16V should be done as part of the basic service for every service anyway)

This costs about an extra £60 to £100

A “C” service consists of

Cam belt and auxiliary belt changed.

This total service is expensive any many people go elsewhere than Renault to have it done cam belt and aux belt is about £500 on there own to change.

On top of this servicing are other things that need to be done regardless of mileage

Cam belt and aux belt shouldn’t be any older than 5yrs. (~£500 to have done at Renault)
Brake fluid should be changed ever 4 yrs (About £60 to have done but can be done by any garage, I’d change it ever year if you drive hard)
Check brake lining and remove dust on rear drum brakes (where appropriate) 55k (now done as part of the normal service as appropriate)
Central locking buttons battery changed every 2 yrs (A few pounds for a battery from Halfords etc and they will sometimes change it for you if you ask nicely.)
Coolant changed every 4 yrs or 72k whichever is earlier. (£60 or so from Renault)
Fuel filter changed ever 150k (find me a car having done this mileage first, but its not much probably £60 to be done at Renault)
Airbags and pretensioner system changed ever 10 years. (Very expensive none would ever bother the car wouldn’t ever be worth it).

That’s the official lines. Personally I’d change the oil between every service (doesn’t cost much for the oil and you can do it yourself). Also change the brake fluid every 2 years or least bleed the brakes.
Renault has to ask if you want them to do any other work to your car i.e. change brake pads. Personally I wouldn’t get them to do any as you can change pads in 40minutes and buy them (for the none Renault Sport) for £17 from Halfords etc instead of the £35 Renault ask so a job which is £90 from Renault can be done for £17 and a bit of labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.