ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con pump not kicking in

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
How annoying, after a year of no air con I finally parted with 50 quid to get it re gassed which was near empty. Anyway after all that it turns out my pump isn't running, are there any checks I can do or easy fixes or am I going to have to shell out a few hundred just for a few weeks of summer? Hit with a hammer

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The pump won't clutch in if the gas pressure is low.

Maybe there is a leak and it's low on gas again?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It was tested immediately after a vacuum and refill so I'm hoping it would have been full. The bloke was looking for a plate on the car to tell him how much refrigerant needed to go in which he couldn't find??

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It was tested immediately after a vacuum and refill so I'm hoping it would have been full. The bloke was looking for a plate on the car to tell him how much refrigerant needed to go in which he couldn't find??

0.700kg.

And it should be vacuumed down for an hour.

Try jumping the pressure switch to see if it's stopped working - the pump should kick in when you jump it.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
To be honest it was probably longer than 20 mins, the whole process was over an hour.

How do I jump the pressure switch, Bridging terminals? Oh and where is it? Cheers Dom

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest it was probably longer than 20 mins, the whole process was over an hour.

How do I jump the pressure switch, Bridging terminals? Oh and where is it? Cheers Dom

IIRC it's on the passenger side of the car, right up forward near the condenser. It should unplug without dropping the gas, then just put a wire across the terminals. Jay Payne , which terminals are the ones that need to be jumped? Just read there's 3 terminals on the clio switch.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
A development, on looking for the pressure sensor (which I found) I discovered yellow /green refrigerant leaking from whatever it is the pipe goes to after the pressure sensor.

What is this and how do I fix it? And is it why the pump isn't kicking in.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's probably your issue. It's dye and it leaks out with the gas when you have a leak. If all the gas has leaked out the pump will not kick in. Surprised it's leaked out so quickly after a recharge, and they didn't detect it.

Is it the flask shaped thing (the dryer) next to the radiator? If the leak is at a connection it may be a case of just breaking the connection apart and replacing the seals (go genuine for these).

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Thanks for you help and yes it is that part, in hoping it's easy to get to to have a look

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Take the bumper off, it'll make your life easier.

Oh, and soak the bolt in wd40 for a few hours before you remove it - you don't want to shear it.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
As an FGAS trained technician, a couple of things caught my attention in your posts.
1. If the techie didn't know how much gas to put in, it's possible that he put too much gas in, causing the compressor not to run due to the pressure being too high.

2. If there was hardly any gas in it in the first place, the techie should of done a leak test as legally we aren't allowed to fill a system that we suspect has a leak.

3. To fix that properly, you will have to take it to a garage to have the refrigerant vacuumed out of the system, the faulty component replacing and then the system regassing.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
So I can't just pop it off and put a new gasket on then? I seem to remember he put 0.660kg in.

It's definitely the aluminium house that runs behind the rad to the passenger side that's leaking where it goes into a 2" diameter 8" long cylinder, where can I get a gasket to sort it?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It's possible to do so, just remember that the gas isn't a pleasant thing to work with and you don't want to be inhaling it at all.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If it's pissed it out already to the extent that the pressure switch has disabled, it's probably no longer much of an issue.

You could get it vac'ed back to see how much is left, but I doubt it's much.

Renault Clio182 bean
If the pump isn't cutting in but it has got gas in the system then there are a few thing it can be. Firstly did you jump the pressure switch connections and the pump cut in?
Have you check the feed to the A/C pump and check the live feed wire hasn't broken? Have you checked the fuse for the A/C hasn't blown? there should also be a relay to control the A/C pump. Just a few ideas.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
We checked the fuses, don't know which of the 3 wires to bridge to check but I have read not to.

There is a fair amount of green fluid around the receiver/dryer so I guess this must be the issue but weirdly it detected no leaks and when tested five mins after a regass didn't run. Again though there is loads leaked out below the pressure switch.