ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on rust protection/undercoat/paint/underseal

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
@RustyMojo

Not bad...

F07379F2-6BD3-4D5B-8640-180F479E060C.jpeg

6FC3D84B-2AE9-478E-90BE-AAF6F1FDE331.jpeg

What what you recommend I do with these aa they look fine to me?

Petrol cap came out ok, I wouldn’t get a job in a body shop but happy with the result regardless:

28BC6811-1D28-4581-865A-4F5A42C05FCC.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
it was the other side of the petrol cap I was talking about mate inside the wheel arch. Right in the top corner behind the filler neck.

I can’t comment on the inner sills yet as I haven’t got there! Not looking forward to it either

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
it was the other side of the petrol cap I was talking about mate inside the wheel arch. Right in the top corner behind the filler neck.

I can’t comment on the inner sills yet as I haven’t got there! Not looking forward to it either

Ah sorry misunderstood, no pics of that and it’s now covered in under body seal, wasn’t to bad though!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
After nearly 1k of driving through salty winter without any arch liners (its on the to do list) I can report that the components that have survived the best, and show absolutely no signs of any corrosion are those which I brush painted with epoxy mastic 121.

I did the whole backside of the filler area with it after spending an hour in there with a grinder luckily for me I caught it before there was any major corrosion but I can 1000% recommend painting areas like that in epoxy. Its dead easy, looks good and protects the area fantastically.

My ARB I had ground back, then coated in rust converter (fe-123) then satin black then clear dinitrol, that has started to corrode very slightly. I believe the flap disk ended up polishing rust up so I trapped rust, the converter seems to be suspended in latex and the light coat of clear dinitrol just sits on top.

All the areas which were done with epoxy first followed by a wax (I used various Dinitrol products) are absolutely as they were and I expect they will be for a long time yet.

Next up i'll remove the sill covers, clean up and expoxy coat these areas too, luckily for me the black epoxy seems to be a decent colour match for black gold... just without the flake obvs.

Sorry to jump on this thread late… Jumping on my fuel filler area tomorrow so we’ll see how it turns out. See attached photos

Attachments

• 35708E50-0D26-4A26-9365-20FC042BD476.jpeg
    35708E50-0D26-4A26-9365-20FC042BD476.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • FF2C8E9D-2F63-4589-B9CC-603E2494E167.jpeg
    FF2C8E9D-2F63-4589-B9CC-603E2494E167.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
  • B6664A28-821D-42D3-BBBD-49E587740447.jpeg
    B6664A28-821D-42D3-BBBD-49E587740447.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
This may be a silly question, but how the hell do you get the original plastics 'bolts' off on the fuel door hinge?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
This may be a silly question, but how the hell do you get the original plastics 'bolts' off on the fuel door hinge?
They aren't plastic. They are a c**t.

It's a normal bolt but the head is surrounded by plastic - crap design. I gripped the plastic flange thing with mole grips and managed to get the nut off.

Then I cut the plastic raised section off and repainted so I could use button head stainless volts to reinstall.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Sorry to jump on this thread late… Jumping on my fuel filler area tomorrow so we’ll see how it turns out. See attached photos
That looks like mine before I hit it with a knotted wheel, be prepared for the rust to have gone a lot further than you think/hope. Mine had holed the top of the arch in a small area.