ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice on buying a 172

hi guys,possible newbie here!sorry if this has been asked alot before! i am looking to buy a 172 and wanted to peeps opinion on some things. is the phase 2 better than the phase 1?in terms of drivability etc...what things should i look for when buying one?and are there any major problems with them in general? thanks for any advice given!

mike

cheers for the reply mate,i knew there wud be some niggles being a reno bit bloody hell! coming from a mk4 golf cud be a bit of a shock.

hey dont get me wrong theres not alot to touch it for ££ to performance, but the odd ones give you trouble, i had a cup before the 182 and it never had a single problem, best thing to do would be to get one with still alot of warranty left on it though

Just bought a Ph2 172 - very happy. Any niggles should have been sorted by the previous owner, given that they have a 3-year warranty. No inherrent problems as such...but inherrent niggles aplenty!

Still, the overall experience more than makes up for that - and most dont encounter problems.

renaultsport clio 182

ph 1 matey the original and best imo,but both are top motors apart from little niggles they will put a smile in your face.

I think its generally accepted that the Ph1 172 looks and drives a little more raw (esp. front bumper), but that the Ph2 was a major step forward for the interior.

People will tell you that the Ph1 is faster, but having myself had a 16V and Williams, I am not convinced that theres any significant difference between the 172 and 182 variants. Ive just come from a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo - after that, they all feel slow!

My 53 172 had the following issues (6k on clock when I bought it)

Heavy Steering (fixed under waranty - Just a sensor)

Headlamp washer ball fallen out (Cant be bothered to fix it cause it sprays pedestrians:D)

Interior ambient air conditioning sensor buzzed like mad (fixed warranty)

Oil leak from rocker cover (fixed under warranty)

Knock form engine/Top Mount (being fixed under warranty Tues)

Rattles from passenger side (fixed by me)

Rattles from dash (fixed by me)

Appart from that it is a seriously trick and quick car which gives me about 37mpg. The problems havent been major issues and I wouldnt change it for anthing less then a scooby STI or Civic Type R. One thing worth noting is the speed and quality of the warranty fixed will be heavily dependent on the renault dealership local to you.

thanks for the replies fellas!,i can deal with little niggles,just want ed to c if there were any major issues with either cars ie.engine an transmission.just want a car that can take a bit of a trashing now an then!

think i will sway towards a mk1.in black!